chickidychicky

Hatching
Apr 10, 2023
Hello! I recently got chicks for my backyard and got two Yokohamas with the ten chicks I got. Sadly one already has passed, I tried every efforts to bring her back to recovery but on day four she was gone. But now I’m left with my last Yokohama who is showing similar symptoms but at the same time she is an active one. She shakes a lot and chirps in discomfort. I checked the temp and everything seems fine, especially because the other chicks with her have no issues. I even placed a warm sock so she can cuddle with it if it’s too cold for her. She refuses to actually lay with the others but will stand around them, and only wants to sleep in my hands. When she doesn’t get my hands she’ll chirp as loudly as possible to get me to come back.

I did separate her for a time being because I was worried that the batch of chicks were just sick since I saw other Yokohama chicks struggling at the store. But after a day or two she wasn’t showing any big concerns.

It’s weird because at times she’ll be active but in moments she seems so weak. Is there anything that could possibly be wrong with her or am I just so paranoid that I’ll lose her like the other Yokohama? She is really small compared to the other chicks I got on the same day (she is the one in the middle).

Attachments

• 5173C513-BFE9-4936-AB8F-FA2C52E324E8.jpeg
    5173C513-BFE9-4936-AB8F-FA2C52E324E8.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 12
I've only had one group of chicks so not a lot to go on but they did a lot of shaking (as if to settle their feathers). They were healthy so I think that is normal.

Running around then abruptly dropping down for a nap is also normal, I think.

Being so much smaller than the others could be a problem; the others may crowd her out at the feed and water if there isn't much room at those.

Not wanting to cuddle with the others and chirping for your hand instead is because she got used to your hand instead of the other options for company and keeping warm. I wouldn't be able to be a full time chicken warmer so I'd let her sort it out sooner rather than later. I would still hold her sometimes but not when she chirped for it (or the instant she stopped chirping for it).

Back
Top Bottom