Young Chicken Off-balance, presenting like Marek's but not?

Farmlymatters

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
Hi all,

Can anyone help me narrow down what's going on with this 11wk old stag? Yesterday I noticed that he started losing balance a bit- lifting up his toes, walking backward, even stumbled onto his hocks a couple of times. Just started yesterday. Looks kind of like maybe early Marek's but also not? He is vaccinated. I know it's not 100% effective but still. I was also told it may be a vitamin B or riboflavin deficiency? We have 12 other birds from this hatch not exhibiting these symptoms but maybe he's sensitive. See video for example of the behavior.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8YM8kVq/
It won't let me embed the video but hopefully the link works?

Current condition: He had a full crop last night and empty this morning with healthy poops. Eating, drinking, not puffed up, not lethargic, bright eyes. Interested in treats and foraging. Currently quarantined away from the flock with vitamins, electrolytes in his water.

Environmental and breed considerations: He's a Belgian Liege Fighter so he's leggy as all get out. They seem to shoot up like crazy the first 12 weeks then slowly grow into their legs over the next 12. So it could be a growth issue? But that seems like it would come on more slowly. He went from fine to wobbly over night. We also had a week of extreme heatwave, which may have weakened him. Although we did all the work for heat stress preventatives and then dosed with vitamins and electrolytes after (Flock 911, Rooster Booster), perhaps the heat has something to do with it?

Thanks in advance for your insight! I'd like to help him recover quickly if I can and to better understand this presentation so I can identify it if it happens with any other birds.

Could be neurological, or a deficiency. I don't think its Marek's.
I would get some vitamin E 400IU and B Complex, and give those daily for a week or so and see how he's doing.
For the B Complex give 1/3 of a tablet daily. Also give eggs for selenium to help him absorb the vitamin E more.

Back
Top Bottom