Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Still here and now have three hens and rescue rooster. My last original gal, Whitney, was 6 years old when she went to the roost in the sky last year.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I am still here but fighting Cancer. Had to give my chickens to my brother. Thanks for checking on me.

A crazy amount new has happened. I was all in to start my own little flock but my soon-to-be-X on the other hand was not. So I am dancing on my my own (I belong to a senior ladies line dance group, we dance every morning for at least an hour & sometimes longer. We also perform when asked.). I decided to keep my chicken dream & get rid of him. I'm happier now than I have been for most of the previous 49 years. I'm ready to come back to learn all there is to learn about chickens on this forum.

I’m doing great. My 5th year as a chicken owner in an urban environment in So Cal. I have 4 hens 4 years and 2 years old. And 2 (fingers crossed) Lavender Orpington Pullets

We experienced 3 deaths in the last year. 2 from fowl pox. So I vaccinated the new ones.

I love my girls and will say it’s mostly fun!!

We also spoil them and let them in the house way too often!!

My girls are Ophelia and Suzie (babies)
The Two Reds Anakin and Beatrix
And the two grey floppy combs are Flyssa Minnelli and Mooncake
IMG_0347.jpeg
IMG_9565.jpeg
IMG_9495.jpeg
F07E1A65-5FF2-47CA-B4EB-7C43626CBB07.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg

Hello Nifty

Thank you for your message 😊

We are all well here thanks. I started with adopting 6 ex-batt hens and shortly after Abe nearly 8 years ago, I think, an elderly rooster, although the SSPCA always label them as young?! Have since expanded our flock, and intermittently adopted hens as well as roosters, and have given hatching eggs to several of our broodies ... unfortunately as it can be detrimental to the well-being of our flocks when the cockerels become a certain age, I will no longer let any broodies sit on eggs sadly ... the only rooster I have experienced who does not mind a jot, is our Fluffy, who we adopted before being slaughtered, he's now around 5.5 years old ... two young mental Poland roosters (from one of our broodies), one especially, is extremely rampant, and treads on as many hens he possibly can including one of Fluffy's girlfriends, and Fluffy couldn't seem to care less lol! He's absolutely fine with other male company. He is only bothered when they start trying to dominate him, and he quickly nips it in the bud, and all is fine again 😊Recently adopted 2 x pekin roosters (we are adamant now this is not going to happen again), I feel so stupid and not happy that I keep disrupting the flocks, and there's nothing I can do about it, as know for certain, where the man whom we adopted the pekins from, will simply continue to breed even though he can't or won't keep the cockerels!! He lives rurally, with a lot of land, wants to keep hatching yearly, then just wants to offload the poor cockerels to someone... had the cheek to tell my Husband he will contact him again ... no I don't think so! So glad we adopted these 2 lovely, funny characters but it's not right to keep doing it ... there will always be unwanted roosters, sadly! ... Were told they got a long well, they had been caged up together for a year, and were due to be slaughtered, but not surprisingly they started fighting regularly after they arrived here. They are both in their own garden space ... one lad has bonded well with one of our silkie hens, and she seems content with him. The other boy is still keen to get with his next door neighbour, Elderly Roddy's flock, but has settled down a bit, and has female company literally bobbing over into his garden space now and again, but an adopted gold top is with him most of the time, including herself and another adopted hen who roost with him.

Enjoying life here in rural-land, close to sheep ... not great with the added tick beasties, but the chooks help each other with that, and I of course help too. Just in case you didn't know ... dabbing teatree oil neat (only essential oil not to burn without carrier oil) directly onto the tick, makes it very easy to then gently just pull them off with a pair of regular tweezers.

Back
Top Bottom