No shell on eggs not enough calcium?

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
So Tilda my one year old silkie has laid two eggs with no shells. She may have laid more but I have no idea because I think she has been eating eggs. She has egg in her fluffy hair. One of my hens is trying to go broody and she chased her off her nest and ate one of her eggs covering the rest of the eggs in a sticky mess. I think she may need more calcium and I put out a ton of eggshells and oyster shell the other day. I have been feeding them grower feed because I have a rooster and a young chick who’s not yet laying. Should I just put some more oyster shell out or does she need something else? Also I’m not killing or getting rid of her for eating eggs she’s my pet.

So Tilda my one year old silkie has laid two eggs with no shells. She may have laid more but I have no idea because I think she has been eating eggs. She has egg in her fluffy hair. One of my hens is trying to go broody and she chased her off her nest and ate one of her eggs covering the rest of the eggs in a sticky mess. I think she may need more calcium and I put out a ton of eggshells and oyster shell the other day. I have been feeding them grower feed because I have a rooster and a young chick who’s not yet laying. Should I just put some more oyster shell out or does she need something else? Also I’m not killing or getting rid of her for eating eggs she’s my pet.
I'll say to wait a few weeks to see if the oyster shells and eggshells work.

I would give Tilda extra Calcium for a week to see if that helps harden up her shells.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Any lice/mites?
Is she stressed?

i had this issue after i gave my girls a bag of spinach - eggs w/no shell!! researched and found out the oxalic acid (super high in spinach) sucks the calcium out of their blood stream and leaves them none to use for their shell. they must be eating some veggies somewhere. if you find the source you can google how much oxalic acid is in the veggie. you can also supplement with Vitamin K. i put the small pill in some cream cheese, which they loved. got things back to normal. best

i had this issue after i gave my girls a bag of spinach - eggs w/no shell!! researched and found out the oxalic acid (super high in spinach) sucks the calcium out of their blood stream and leaves them none to use for their shell. they must be eating some veggies somewhere. if you find the source you can google how much oxalic acid is in the veggie. you can also supplement with Vitamin K. i put the small pill in some cream cheese, which they loved. got things back to normal. best
Thank you that’s very interesting! I think they have only eaten watermelon and cantaloupe recently but someone might have given them something.

Back
Top Bottom