Gender confirmation/guess for 1 month old chicks

Updated pics of Potato. Comb & wattles still say male to me, but general behavior says female. There’s also still some black on the comb, which someone here told me can be an indicator for female, and I have found that to be accurate. So the black on the comb is also part of what has me reconsidering.
IMG_5784.jpeg

IMG_5779.jpeg IMG_5781.jpeg
IMG_5713.jpeg
IMG_5707.jpeg

Anyone want to take a shot at guessing Glisten? He’s 7 weeks. I say he because every chick that’s ever feathered out white has been male. But, these are the first chicks from this pairing so that may not be a fair comparison. Glisten also has a small amount of red leakage. It’s not on the shoulders, but I usually feel that more leakage indicates male. Glistens mom is a white or maybe Splash Easter Egger with a pea comb. Dad could be either my black or splash (?) straight-combed rooster. Glistens comb is still yellow, but seems larger than his 2 blue siblings. I’ll post pics of them once I am sure I can tell which one is which, lol. IMG_5502.jpeg IMG_5500.jpeg IMG_5499.jpeg

Update-
So all initial guesses were accurate. Harvest was a pullet. Potato is definitely a boy.

Now it’s just Glisten who remains questionable. I think he’s a slower maturing cockerel. He was hatched 12/25, making him 12 weeks old tomorrow. Mom is an EE and papa is a barnyard mix.

any guesses?

Attachments

• IMG_6619.jpeg
    IMG_6619.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6318.jpeg
    IMG_6318.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 2
Here are some updated pics of Harvest. She’s 8/9 weeks old now, and I’m still having a hard time guessing gender. Comb is on the smaller side, but larger than the obvious pullets. Comb & wattles are pink (not yellow or red like the others). I was leaning female, but then noticed some red leakage on the shoulders and iridescent feathers. Any guesses?

I may also post some updated pics of Potato later. I’m not so confident anymore that Potato is male…
That’s a pullet 100%

This is my Thanksgiving Clutch (named for when the eggs were set-not hatched). They are barnyard mixes about 1 month old. I think I know genders, but wanted more opinions.

First are the suspected cockerels-
Cranberry combed up FAST and has always been very outgoing. No doubt he’s a he. Which is unfortunate because he’s a nice personable bird so far, but we’re full up on roosters.
Cranberry:
View attachment 3734968
Next is Turkey. Thought this one was a girl for the longest time, then a few days ago I saw red waffles and then the comb popped & turned red simultaneously. Pretty confident now that it’s a male.
Turkey:
View attachment 3734976
Then we have Cider the Wyandotte mix. Comb is significantly pinker and larger than sibling, and he had a lot of rusty/brown in his down when he hatched. I’m pretty sure male.
Cider:
View attachment 3734984
Next pretty definite male is Crumble. Wide legs, pretty heavily feathered legs (I’m beginning to think this can be a clue to indicate male birds?). Mom is a Noir Marans with very lightly feathered legs. Dad is clean legged, so Crumbles feathered legs seem excessive. Has heavier feathering on legs than both full siblings. Comb is large and light pink.
Crumbles:
View attachment 3734985
Chick #4 is Potato. Was suspected female due to quiet, shy nature. But now I think male. Comb isn’t as big as other boys but is darker pink.
2 pics of Potato:
View attachment 3734993
View attachment 3734992
Chick #5 is Biscuit. I’m a little less certain, but leaning male. As a young chick, he flogged me constantly. I’ve never had a chick be that aggressive. He’s mellowed out, and no longer attacks, but still avoids. Of the eleven one-month-old babies, he was the only one I couldn’t get to come outside for decent pics.
3 pics of Biscuit:
View attachment 3735006
View attachment 3735007
View attachment 3735008

The only chick I don’t have a guess about is Harvest. Harvest is a full sibling to Crumbles, and is kind of shy. Legs are clean.
2 pics of Harvest (yellow band). Apologies for the photo bombing messy Orp floof in the background:
View attachment 3735009
View attachment 3735010

Okay, and now the suspected pullets-
Sprouts is full sibling to Cider. Her chick down was solid black. Her comb is identical in shape, but smaller and yellower than his. Wattles just turned pink, though. Upright posture in second pic was the result of an alert call.
Two pics of Sprouts:
View attachment 3735011
View attachment 3735012
Next is Giblet. Sweet, friendly, colorful. Full sibling to Turkey & Cranberry. Comb literally turned pink yesterday. Still leaning girl. I think she’s built like a hen.
Giblet’s 3 pics:
View attachment 3735018
View attachment 3735017
View attachment 3735019
Next is my favorite, Cassie (for Casserole). She’s a full sibling to Harvest and Crumbles. Small, yellow comb. Some feathering on legs. Chill, lower energy, calm.
Cassie:View attachment 3735022
Maple is last. I totally missed her when taking photos 🙁. Maple I thought was male for a while. Hatched very rusty/brown, big bird, upright posture. But she is looking more pullet now. These pics are from 1-2 weeks ago. Her color is nearly identical to her now 1-year old sister when they were the same age.
2 terrible pics of Maple (she’s in the middle of the 2nd one):
ETA- Current pics of Maple added in comments
View attachment 3735030
View attachment 3735031
Looks like a ton of cute roosters

Back
Top Bottom