goose losing feathers. help

I also have 2 Toulouse geese that are losing their body feathers not flight feathers. They were hatched 5/15/16 so they are not 3 months old.
Are they molting ? ?? Or am I doing something wrong?
They were beautiful and are now starting to look shabby.
[/URL]
The pool pic is before. The lawn pic is now , sorry it's not a better example.
As long as you have them on good food appropriate for their age and looks like they have good forage. It's probably just the last molt they go through before they finally get their adult feather. They go through molts off an on before adult feathers are finally in some you notice some you don't. They sure look healthy. @equustears

Thank you for replying
I guess that's the question I can't answer with confidence. No one I an find sells water fowl food so they are getting poultry grower crumbles and oat and cracked corn scratch . It worries me if they are getting the niacin and other vitamins that I've been told they need. I turn them loose in the yard daily and they have a large fenced yard that they reside in. With their pool.
It's been extremely hot here and humid so I was thinking maybe they were too warm but .... I just really want to do right by them . They are so dear.

Thank you for replying
I guess that's the question I can't answer with confidence. No one I an find sells water fowl food so they are getting poultry grower crumbles and oat and cracked corn scratch . It worries me if they are getting the niacin and other vitamins that I've been told they need. I turn them loose in the yard daily and they have a large fenced yard that they reside in. With their pool.
It's been extremely hot here and humid so I was thinking maybe they were too warm but .... I just really want to do right by them . They are so dear.
Get some Nutritional Yeast[ Whole foods, Natural health food store] sprinkle 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed this will give them the niacin they need and in a natural form. You can also purchase on line. Most of us can't buy goose feed or water fowl feed so we have to relay on chicken feed and just add plain niacin which can be hard to find or Nutritional yeast to supplement. I don't think heat makes them molt they go by time table for their species . Looks to me like they have plenty of greens to eat.

Ughhhh feathers feathers everywhere. They look so shabby and unkept. I hope this is molting.
Feels like when you have your first baby - not enough experience so you over do everything, and I want to do it right for them . I have no confidence in my decisions .
Does anyone know about worming geese
-when
- how
- signs they need wormed

Thank you for molting confirmation
1f60a.png

I can't find waterfowl feed anywhere . They are on chick grower crumbles and scratch ( oats and cracked corn). I worry about angel wing so I'm watching the protein .
Do you know anything about worming geese? Specifically gizzard worm ?
They are happy , vocal , and eat well but I read they have to be wormed with a drench . Ughhhhh I don't know if I can drench my geese . They will think I'm trying to kill them and we have such a good relationship.

If they had gizzard worm, they'd be acting sick. According to what I've read, they will be listless and tired.

After he cut himself on some chickenwire, we had to give our our gander two weeks of oral liquid antibiotic which we had to insert into his esophagus with an oral syringe. I can post pictures of how to do that - you can accidentally get it in their windpipe if you don't position the syringe correctly - if you end up needing to give meds.

Back
Top Bottom