Integrating 11-12 week olds

khrystianp81

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
This is my first time integrating babies into a new flock. I recently two months ago introduced 18-red sex links about 20 weeks into my 11-mystic onyx who are about a year. Things were super easy. I'm not sure what's normal or not. New group of babies there are 27 and a speckled turkey. I have sectioned off part of run and a whole coop. Bigs have access to half the small run the bigs have but bigs also have an 8x10 shed as a coop, And a second door to another 100x3 foot run. This group of babies is various from black sex links, winedots, and other docile breeds. But these babies have been flyers room day one and used to fly out of their brooder. We have built up the barrier close to 6 feet and they still fly and sit on the fence and watch the bugs or fly over it and wait for bugs to finish eating and go to their food. Bigs are laying on layer feed and babies are on flock raiser. Here is a pick of one of my grey breeds watching from the rock to go to the bigs food. Obviously both have their own foods and waters and there are two feeders in this run and a big feeder and waterer in the large run. My red sex links peck at the smaller ones and chase them some my mystic onyx could careless. I am so worried about the chasing and pecks I go out and immediately put the babies back on their side for them to fly right back over. I don't know what's normal and what's not they have been like this set up for a week. No one bothers the turkey and the rooster could careless about the babies. Here is a pic of the set up bigs coop and second run not visible . The one sliding down the rock is an escaped 12 week old lol

Attachments

• IMG_3999.png
    IMG_3999.png
    871.9 KB · Views: 16
I should add this is 1 of 3 batches to introduce next up are more winddots, olive eggers and Easter eggers as well as 4 geese who have been raised with the babies to imprint. Last is 12 ducks and some more various breed babies. We are adding a duck house, goose house and another 7x7 shed at the bottom the large run. So far for the 28 layers I have 9 nesting boxes. The coop the babies are in have 6 boxes but I have blocked off. And like I said both geese and ducks will have their own areas but access to same 100x30!foot run. Do I still keep them separate? Let them fly over if they want? How do I know what is pecking they eill
Hurt them or when safe to let them in the big area for the next set to come
Out.

Back
Top Bottom