Things I don't feed my chickens😊

Pics
After seeing Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ where a bird pecked out an eye of one of the criminals on the cross, I would never let a bird near my face. I don't let my children get their faces close to the chickens either.

Overkill, I'm sure. But, I also don't see a benefit to opening up to that risk.

After seeing Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ where a bird pecked out an eye of one of the criminals on the cross, I would never let a bird near my face. I don't let my children get their faces close to the chickens either.

It's not overkill chickens are feathered hogs and will make short work of you if you let them!

So many times I've been carrying a chicken and turned my head to see I'm looking eye to beak with her. I suddenly realize the potential and tell her "don't you even think about pecking me in the eye young lady!" Then I immediately adjust her height so she cant reach. :lau

I've dialed back on giving them things, it seems to me that it just causes more problems than it's worth. If they were cooped up all day and I was on a budget maybe I'd research my options, but if they're not getting the nutrients they need from table scraps and treats it doesn't matter if it's non-toxic they'll end up with problems anyway especially if they can't digest it properly for whatever reason.

What about citrus 🍊? I can’t understand why citrus wouldn’t be ok.
I can't see any problem either, if it is just tossed in the pen and they are free to eat it or not.

I have not really seen chickens eat citrus peels, but I think I have seen them eat the inside parts. I haven't paid very careful attention to which parts they do or do not eat, but I certainly have not seen any bad effects that could be traced to anything they chose to eat.

Edit to clarify: I mention chickens "choosing" to eat things, because if anything is ground up and mixed into their food the situation will be very different. That would call for much more careful research about how safe the ingredients are, because it takes away the chickens' ability to choose what they think is safe or appetizing. That point applies to anything, not just citrus fruit: do extra research before mixing anything into the chickens' main food source.

Last edited:
I can't see any problem either, if it is just tossed in the pen and they are free to eat it or not.

I have not really seen chickens eat citrus peels, but I think I have seen them eat the inside parts. I haven't paid very careful attention to which parts they do or do not eat, but I certainly have not seen any bad effects that could be traced to anything they chose to eat.

Edit to clarify: I mention chickens "choosing" to eat things, because if anything is ground up and mixed into their food the situation will be very different. That would call for much more careful research about how safe the ingredients are, because it takes away the chickens' ability to choose what they think is safe or appetizing. That point applies to anything, not just citrus fruit: do extra research before mixing anything into the chickens' main food source.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom