• I have multiple large and small flocks

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have multiple large flocks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm off the charts

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Pics
4 is enough with all my school work. When I'm older I'll have around 7. I plan on doing a job that involves me being at my house, so I can take care of them on break/ while working. How on earth can some of you manage 20??? 4 is exhausting enough!
Taking care of 20 isn't really any different than 4, depending on your management techniques and also how you view them. If they're livestock they don't need a lot of handling vs. pets, where you'd be giving them a lot more individual attention.

I spend less time cleaning the coop with 12 birds than I did with 4 birds in a smaller set up. But because these are pets too I'm spending a lot more time out there right now, taming the chicks... once they're grown I'll be a lot more hands off so time expenditure will return to normal.

I've got 23 hens (various breeds, ages, and abilities), eight six-week-old pullets (hopefully), and two roosters (1-year-old bantam frizzle Cochin and 11-month-old White Leghorn). 33 in all. I've had as many as 37, but they got pretty grumpy with the roosts, so we had to cut back. I would definitely recommend having lots of roosts and nest boxes so flock expansion is easier.

I currently have 9... one rooster, one guinea, three adult hens and four "teenagers".
I have made a lot of mistakes along the way, which sadly cost me a lot of birds.
Advice... don't buy the "coop kits". They are flimsy and predators can destroy them. When making a chicken tractor, be careful of the weight and make sure your chicken wire is secure.
My future plans are to keep my rooster and one hen separate from the others for reproduction. All other eggs will be for consumption while the eggs from that hen will be for more chicks.
Just curious how that single guinea is doing? I'm sure there's a story behind that.

Here's the full flock out and about today. The goose troop is returning up the hill. Pics are a bit washed out.

f051924p1.JPG
20240519_152022.jpg
20240519_152559.jpg

Back
Top Bottom