please help

firemansam62

Hatching
5 Years
May 25, 2014
Mosinee
We've had birds for a couple of years now, turkeys, ducks, and chickens however, this morning i went to let them out and my white turkey has its back end covered in maggots which extend all the way up to its neck. I asked a neighbor who also keeps birds what it was and he said it sounded like fly strike. What is this? What can be done to cure the bird? It won't be easy to catch her and hold her down to do much with her but i don't want her to suffer, but i don't want to shoot her either. Help!!!!!!

We've had birds for a couple of years now, turkeys, ducks, and chickens however, this morning i went to let them out and my white turkey has its back end covered in maggots which extend all the way up to its neck. I asked a neighbor who also keeps birds what it was and he said it sounded like fly strike. What is this? What can be done to cure the bird? It won't be easy to catch her and hold her down to do much with her but i don't want her to suffer, but i don't want to shoot her either. Help!!!!!!
Welcome to BYC!

Get the bird inside away from flies, remove all maggots, clean wound and hope it heals. Maybe also start on an antibiotic.

-Kathy

Unfortunately, as Tom was walking around the yard this afternoon flesh was actually dropping from his body in big chunks which left a hole about the size of a quarter dollar in his chest. Shortly after he collapsed and my son in law euthenized him painlessly. Naturally we are all so devastated, he was bought originally as the Thanksgiving offering, but beacuse he was so friendly with the children we kept him as a pet. My wife first noticed the problem at 7:00 this morning and at 4:00 this afternoon the infestation was so bad under the wings we rinsed him off and cleared the maggots we could see, but within 15 minutes it was like we hadn't even touched him. He had diffiulty breathing and would find it difficult to get up once he was down and when he did walk the flesh was dropping off him.
Both myself and my wife are ready to give up on the whole deal.:(

I am so sorry. That is so hard.
sad.png

No, fly strike is not contagious. It begins with a small wound getting infested with maggots and the maggots eat it larger. If the others don't have wounds, they won't get it. I hear that fly strike has been a pretty big problem this year. Others on the forum have mentioned losses from it as well.

Is there a danger to the rest of the brood? We have chickens, ducks, and 2 more turkeys.
So sorry.
hugs.gif
No danger, just keep an eye on the turkeys, especially under their wings as that seems to be were they get fly-strike... My thinking is that they get too fat and their wings create pressure sores there.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom