Raccoons

jonezjollyfarm

Songster
Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Well we have had out chickens in their coop and run since about may and have had no serious issues. Chased a few owls out of the yard in the wee hours of the morning. We call one of our dogs the warden because he walks the perimeter of the run over and over if he is outside. But this morning about 3 we let 2 of the dogs outside and they chased some coons out of the yard. Catching and killing one of them... any suggestions to keep them out of my yard all together. We can't leave the dogs out all night because they will howl and run off.

There are a lot of different devices and methods people will tell you work to keep raccoons away; playing a radio on a talk show, different night lights or predator eyes, using predator scents, setting up a sprinkler on a motion detector, and others. I don’t know how effective any of them are over time. Many animals are very adaptable and over time figure out some of these things are not really a threat. But many people believe in different methods.

Others will tell you to trap or shoot. I trap plenty of raccoons and other critters and occasionally shoot a critter so I’m not opposed to either. You will never get rid of all of them by either of these methods but you can reduce the number that are visiting your place by trapping or shooting. It does help reduce predator pressure. When I remove the raccoons or other critters that are regularly visiting I may go months before another takes their place. But one or more always do.

The best defense for your chickens is a strong coop and locking them up at night. If you consider your run truly predator proof locking them in the run may be enough but locking them in the coop offers added protection. You never know when a predator will visit.

Properly installed electrical fencing is a tremendous deterrent until the power goes out. Snow may ground it out too depending on how it is installed. Normally once something touches a live electric fence they avoid it in the future so even an electric fence not working helps some but you never know when a new predator will visit. Your dogs will probably get bitten once then avoid it.

Having a secured coop and run is the best way to keep your chickens safe. We have a serious bobcat problem in our area but our chickens are safe in their pen. In this picture the bobcat is looking right at the chickens but he can't get in. They were scared but fine.

Last edited:
What a handsome cat! I also have a very secure coop and run. Bad experiences years ago; many of us learn the hard way! When I stopped putting out treats and feed for the birds outside of their run, many fewer coons and possums showed up at night! Jonez, you need to have that dead coon checked for rabies; your Animal Control should handle this for you, or your veterinarian. Wrap it in plastic, and chill, don't freeze, and get it there today. Your dogs are up to date on their vaccines, right? If you don't have the body, just get them boostered today, and call your doctor, and public health, about your possible exposure. Saliva on your dogs would be the issue here. Mary

The coons that got away ... Now figured out what happens to the slowest of the pack!

Electric works until it doesn't ... But is a good educator when it is on! Coons are curious critters ... Take a 12" square of tinfoil ... Hold one corner, and wad the rest up into a ball, twist the corner you are holding into a tail, and loop it over the electric fence (turn off the fence first, unless you want to jump and hollar like I did!) the coon(s) will see the shiney ball in the moonlight, and go over to see and play ... In the morning you will see it ripped off the fence ... Raccoon learns quick to stay away!

Tall grass or fallen branches reduces its effectiveness ... So does a power outage ... Or forgetting to plug it back in after working on or near it! ;) Snow too, like mentioned above ...

I think the electric fence will be my last resort. I'm 99% sure they can't get in the run or coop so I'm not that worried. I built a fortress. I'm going to get another motion sensor light to put closer to the woods and try some pee shots just to keep them off the property. If that doesn't work I'll hook up the electric fence.

Back
Top Bottom