Weak and unstable chick?

Flarestar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
Hi, yesterday I gave one of my baby chicks to a friend of mine. Today, she told me that the chick was weak and unstable and could barely stand. Yesterday, the chick was very energetic with her, so I'm wondering if something happened? Could the chick be sick?

She's a newbie but I taught her everything yesterday. Also, yesterday the chick chirped the whole day and now my friend says it got quiet. Could the chick just be tired?

The chick should not be chirping the entire day. Yes, it could be tired from chirping. Does your friend have more than just the one chick? A chick can't be all alone.

Hi!,
There may be a draft in her brooder. That can kill chicks and it's something we cannot see. The constant chirping could be a clue. If there were more hicks in that brooder and tic was drafty they would be piling up and constant chirping. . Have her recheck the brooder so no drafts. Temp should be 95 degrees then ratcheted slowly down to about 70 degrees by the time it is 4 weeks old. This could also be stress from adjustment to a new home and lack of company. Tell her to go to Tractor Supply or her local feed store and get the smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench or Goat Nutri-Drench. These are wonderful emergency nutritional supplements. they do not need to be digested. Mainline directly into the bloodstream, measureable in 30 minutes with 99% utilization. All Natural. Give the chick one drop only by mouth. Repeat as needed every 8-10 hours until chicks appears normal again. Add 2 ml per gallon to its water for the 1st 2 weeks to get it off to a strong start. My solution looks like very weak tea. I have used various Bovidr Labs formulas on my poultry and collies for over a decade with great results. Tho the Bovidr Labs formulas are species specific, they also meet the scientific standard for a universal formula. Last year I raised 42 Light Sussex chicks on the Goat Formula using the poultry instructions above. Whichever formula she chooses, make sure she uses the Poultry Instructions. http://www.nutridrench.com
Also either give her another chick, or give the chick something to snuggle up to and/or under. Make sure that structure is not under the light. Keep it just outside the circle of light so the chick doesn't get overheated while resting.
Best,
Karen
Why this particular supplement? Because it seen from the chirping the chick is stressed. When chicks get stressed it negatively affects their ability to uptake helps from the G.I. tract. So if you are giving them helps which need to be digested and they are in a challenged position where the G.I. tract is compromised, then the bird doesn't get the helps you are administering taken up in helpful quantities. This can be why you see folks wondering why their chicks can't getting better with all the goodies they are giving them for health and strength. The Bovidr Labs formulas bypass this problem.
The trick with stressed chicks is to interdict the stress timeline so the chick actually uptakes the helps before its body systems reach a tipping point between stress and body systems needs... where the body systems start to cascade in failure because they were unable to access the helps they needed to stay functioning normally. Once that cascade of failure begins, it's tough to bring them back. That's what the formulas do. They punch a hole in that "developing failure" timeline with the nutrients the chick needs to help restore its immune and other systems to normal functioning. Now if there is a sickness involved, these Bovidr Labs formulas will not cure it. What they will do is give the chick energy and strength to fight.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Sadly, the chick died recently. I believe the problem had to do with the chick eating something poisonous. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for replying.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Sadly, the chick died recently. I believe the problem had to do with the chick eating something poisonous. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for replying.

That's sad. :( most people don't really appreciate how dependant a chick is . Having the correct setup is really important.

Back
Top Bottom