Can a goat befriend ducks ??

HardisonsHens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
North Carolina
Im looking into getting goats hubby says I need to start with just one and see how it goes but I told him he/she needs a companion.We are fixing to start building a pen made out of chain link fencing and will be butting it up again the pen we made for my two ducks my question is would the goat not feel as lonely since him/her will be able to see the ducks ? Would the goat bond with the ducks?

Tell hubby one goat is a VERY bad idea. I made that mistake when I started. I named my first goat Bouncing Genevieve because she could clear any fence. Because she was lonesome, she didn't want to stay in her pen. She also wouldn't shut up. Same reason. Once I got her a companion, she stayed in and was quiet. I have seen a couple goats in my life that seemed happy living alone, but they are very few and far between.

I have goats and muscovy ducks, when my muscovys are sitting on a nest in the goat shed my goats will go up to them and put one of their hooves close, the duck will try to chew on the leg to get rid of it, the goat closes it's eyes and enjoys the scratch.

I agree don't get one goat, it will scream more, escape more, you won't be happy and the goat won't be happy, they need buddies. I don't think ducks will quite do it.

Thx guys I appreciate your comments!! My biggest issue right now is even being able to find any Pygmy goats
1f614.png
Just wondering will 4 feet be tall enough of a fence for pygmies ? It's being made using chain link fencing.

Last edited:
Now see that depends on the goat and whether he's happy, you might want to add a strand of electric wire to keep them from rubbing, standing, leaning on, etc. Goats are brutal on fencing. You may want to confine your goat initially in a more secure area until you get to know each other, I used to sell pygmy kids, they could jump out of a six foot pen.

Back
Top Bottom