Anyone else have LGDs?? I am in serious need of advice!!

I know everything about Newfies, my Dad was a breeder. I have friends with Pyrenes for flock protection and I personally have Leonbergers. Your pup has 2 very conflicting DNA's going on. Newfies are not flock protection, they're just not, they're water dogs. Pyrenes are indeed good at flock protection. I'm not joking I've seen 2 Newfies that got loose, leave beaks and feet in the time it took to go out to dinner. My last Newfie if allowed to be around chickens (despite my sincere attempts to train him to "be nice to chickens," would chase and then "pin," them but he didn't kill them. Point is, he could never be trusted around them. Leonbergers are indifferent as that DNA is about people pleasing and they know I dont want the chickens killed. I'm glad to hear that you love the pup no matter what because you flat out can't force a dog to be what it's not. My gut feeling is this is not a great LGD candidate but a perfect family dog, companion. To be fair I should add that I did have one Newfie who was good with chickens. She was 5, not a pup, I think this was helpful.

Last edited:
I don’t find random dogs of normal breeds to be any less effective than dedicated LGD breeds. I’ve had an eclectic mix of outside, free range, dogs my entire life and they generally all did a good job of keeping the varmints at bay.
My best LGD was a stray 30# cattle dog mix. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING got past her. No way could she have won a battle with a coyote, but she would have died defending "her" chickens, and any varmint that got too near the chicken coop died. I saw a thread once where someone commented that "a dog can't be an LGD unless it is a LGD breed." I remained silent when I read that comment, but it is completely untrue. If a dog is guarding livestock, it is an LGD. Period.

I know everything about Newfies, my Dad was a breeder. I have friends with Pyrenes for flock protection and I personally have Leonbergers. Your pup has 2 very conflicting DNA's going on. Newfies are not flock protection, they're just not, they're water dogs. Pyrenes are indeed good at flock protection. I'm not joking I've seen 2 Newfies that got loose, leave beaks and feet in the time it took to go out to dinner. My last Newfie if allowed to be around chickens (despite my sincere attempts to train him to "be nice to chickens," would chase and then "pin," them but he didn't kill them. Point is, he could never be trusted around them. Leonbergers are indifferent as that DNA is about people pleasing and they know I dont want the chickens killed. I'm glad to hear that you love the pup no matter what because you flat out can't force a dog to be what it's not. My gut feeling is this is not a great LGD candidate but a perfect family dog, companion. To be fair I should add that I did have one Newfie who was good with chickens. She was 5, not a pup, I think this was helpful.
That is great info that should be very helpful to the OP

Back
Top Bottom