Guardian Dog- Questions for Owners of them

Hi there,

Soji and Fruitquake, ay yi yi. He (hubby) has collars around them, supposedly to keep them within boundaries (can't think of the name of those devices). I don't think they work and wish we had the thingies that go underground. Maaaan, we were driving down the street last week and those chumps were in the farmer's field on the corner. Anywho, they were hubby's idea to have - not mine. I constantly remind myself that he lives here too. I have heard him get onto them more than once for rough playing, no eating. He blames them for eating the chickens eggs :idunno . I keep asking if he has seen yoke running down their mouths and he has not. They go inside the coop while chickens are free ranging and he blames them - I dunno. Do dogs like to eat eggs? And what about the shell, none been found laying around. I think it's just that each chicken does not lay each and every day is all.

Yup, our chickens enjoy the dog food as well. Fruitquake dogs them out and those dumb chickens still try to get in there (at their own peril). We have resorted to feeding the dogs before letting the chickens out to free range. That seems to have addressed that problem.

We got first one at 8 weeks old, born January, '23. We got his sister four weeks later. Clearly, they have a ways to go to get to two years. I really like our dogs and hope everything works out well.
The Great DissaPyr they call them...

We live in south Mississippi & I have known multiple people who have owned GP & have had no issues with the heat. The main thing would be to keep plenty of cool water & good shady areas to relax in. The other option is to shave the GP really short early & then again mid summer.
I have a GP / Anatolian cross that a groomer shaved w/o permission and now I have a terrible time with his coat! Don't shave them...get a kiddy pool for them & be sure to have shade. They are worth the extra effort.

Hi,

So I have some questions that I am hoping those of you who own Guardian dogs can answer.

We have a small homestead. Poultry & 2 pet rabbits with the typical cats & dogs.

Our one female dog killed a chicken last summer. The youngest of the 3 dogs might try to harm chickens if they free-range. But he's nowhere near the prey drive of my husky-lab. I did try to work with her some. (Sadly have too much on my plate to be able to dedicate 1hr or so each day to training her.)

We have talked about getting a guardian dog to protect the flock.
But I know very little about them so to speak in terms of working. I know Great Pyrenees seem to be the most popular breed. With Anatolian 2nd.
Questions:
1. What is the best breed for raising with chickens/ducks/geese/turkeys/etc..??
2. Will the dog guard the animals from my older dog who wants to attack them?
3. We live where it gets high 90's in summer time with very little shade; would that affect a thicker haired breed dog?
4. What training is required to teach them? Or do they instinctively know to just protect if they're raised with them?
5. Any advice or thoughts you like to share, please do! lol

Thanks in advance!
1) I have a mutt (88% Carolina dingo, 6% gsd, 6% staffy) and he is just a darling with my chickens since day 1. Very protective. I think it depends on the personality of the dog as much as breed. I also have 2 Anatolians and they've learned not to chase or eat chickens (took several months and a few losses) but now they will eat my home cooked chicken but not touch the live flocks chickens. One Anatolian is alert to human visitors on the property, the other Anatolian and the dingo mix are alert to foxes. All three recognize warning calls from the roosters and chime in. So again depends on personality as much as breed. I've heard of golden retriever defending its owner against a doberman.
2) you'll just have to try and see.
3) probably yes. It's not just the fur it's the body mass. This is why some military units prefer malinois over gsd because they are lighter in weight than gsd and don't get heat exhaustion as easily.
4) I screamed and cried when I found my hens dead. I guess the dogs got the message eventually.
5) I would just shop or interview several dogs of different breeds in person. See how they behave, if they have leadership potential. It'll be tricky though to find the right match for the husky mix.
A lot of farms in my area have mixes of Pytenees, Maremma and Anatolian. My neighbors have great Danes who they say are excellent guard dogs. I've noticed the Amish families tend to have smaller dogs usually Australian shepherd mixes, they seem to be good all around farm dogs. You might even consider a donkey. They are known to be very protective of their herd and can kill coyotes. That would eliminate any issue getting along with the husky mix.

Back
Top Bottom