Advice for a Farm Dog please. Scotch Collie, English Shepherd, Pyrenees, etc. ?

Kangals are great. English Shepherds are prone the coat problems, so not suited for forests. I also like Caucasian Shepherds, and if you want to scare smaller things away, a Guinea fowl flock is the best. They will attack everything that looks like danger and alert all other birds. Their screams are so loud, that no avian bird would get near them, foxes will run away with a headache, cats will be dreaded to get anywhere near them.

Just wanted to say that many LGD's are labeled as 'stubborn'. That's not really the case. They are VERY independent and smart and they think for themselves, that is what makes them good for protection. Training is important, so they learn what they are supposed to do, but the stubborn part is kind of unfair to them. They have to be independent enough to be able to decide and do what is needed when no one else is there. Some of them are very instinctive at it, but training is a must. When my pyr goes into protection mode, you can't really call him off until the 'danger' as he perceives it is addressed or gone. Sometimes just going out and acknowledging what ever it is and telling him 'good job' is enough. But if there is a predator out there, he's not quiting til it's gone, one way or another. It's his job and he's serious as death about his job. I also have a donkey, same rule applies. He's not quitting til it's gone, whatever it is.

We have had 7 Goldens each has made a great farm dog & family protector.
This is Bella & she lives for the snow.

1693843720871.png

Back
Top Bottom