First time pyr owner! Any tips for keeping him in the yard?

Alyssabethan

Hatching
Sep 27, 2022
Hi all, I am a first time pyr owner and we brought our 7 month old boy home yesterday. He was not leash trained but has already picked up on it very well and so far has been a dream. The main reason we got him was so that he could watch over our livestock.

He is already goat trained and I am working on chicken training him, which he has seemed to have picked up on already even in this short period of time. We live on a 45 acre property, with our house being almost smack dab in the middle of it, our closest neighbor is probably about a mile away. The property is mostly wooded, but where the house is located is probably about 10-12 acres of space with a natural fence line of trees. My main question is, we want him to eventually be able to run around the property at night without supervision and keep an eye on the livestock. We recently lost two goats to stray dogs and three chickens to a bobcat. I have been working on boundary training him and he has not been off a leash since he's been here. At night and when we're not home he's put up in a fenced in enclosure. Has anyone been successful in letting their pyrs off leash? He is outside only

With no real fencing your pyr will never respect any type of boundaries and will go where he wants to go. Our pyrs stay in the pasture and are bonded with the flock. Leash training a pyr makes no sense I have no idea what you are trying to achieve but good luck.

With no real fencing your pyr will never respect any type of boundaries and will go where he wants to go. Our pyrs stay in the pasture and are bonded with the flock. Leash training a pyr makes no sense I have no idea what you are trying to achieve but good luck.
It is a lot easier to take the dog to the vet or treat him for something if he is leash trained.

It is a lot easier to take the dog to the vet or treat him for something if he is leash trained.
There is only one thing that dog trainers can agree on an that is the other one is doing it wrong. IMO you start leash training a LGD you end up with a pet, that ends up at a shelter because "it wont guard". You do you though.

Last edited:
There is only one thing that dog trainers can agree on an that is the other one is doing it wrong. IMO you start leash training a LGD you end up with a pet, that ends up at a shelter because "it wont guard". You do you though.
I used to have Komondors to guard my livestock. They were all leash trained and I was able to check their feet and ears without trouble. They were bonded to the goats, not to me, and they were not pets. I did once end up with a Pyr that was not leash trained and not socialized at all. She was an absolute nightmare.

It has been so many years I don't remember now how I trained my Koms. I can tell you they lived with the goats their whole life but I did socialize them a bit when they were small puppies so I could handle them later when necessary.

I used to have Komondors to guard my livestock. They were all leash trained and I was able to check their feet and ears without trouble. They were bonded to the goats, not to me, and they were not pets. I did once end up with a Pyr that was not leash trained and not socialized at all. She was an absolute nightmare.

It has been so many years I don't remember now how I trained my Koms. I can tell you they lived with the goats their whole life but I did socialize them a bit when they were small puppies so I could handle them later when necessary.
OK? I don't know what to say. Congratulations? Like I said you do you. The OP will either figure it out or he wont. Glad you figured it out. I have also figured out a way that works for us and our small farm. Now I have to get back to pulling a 7.3 Powerstroke. Any advice on that?

Back
Top Bottom