New Livestock Guard Puppy Comes Home

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
I was outside raking the dirt and lo and behold hubby walks up with the "Look at this" look in his eye.

While at work yesterday I get a text about loose dog(s) at the homestead. Hubby says he put multiple slugs in one of them and told me not to let the chickens out when I got home. He had been talking about getting blue heelers but that never materialized from the "friend" whom he was supposed to get them from. We were advised about a local woman breeding Pyr puppies. I spoke with her Novemberish, she said she would call when puppies were available. So much for that.

Me being me I get online and commence to reading. One thing I learned is that obtaining a grown guard dog might have been better for the job at hand. This lil boy is only 8 weeks old. It will be years before he is up to snuff. And I already know, as much as we are gone, how is he going to be "trained" to guard. Though unspoken it seems hubby thinks just 'cause the dog has the title he will do the job (I'm jus' sayin').

So, here we are with a male, 8 week old great pyrenees names Fruitquake. Oh, and hubby claims he wants to get his sister next month (I dunnooooo 'bout that). But, hubby does what he wants to do.

So, here it is, I am up with Fruity before 5 a.m. because hubby wants to sleep. We had him in a crate and brought him into our bedroom. About 11 p.m. and maybe 2 a.m. Fruitquake is whining and I figure, "He's a puppy, his bladder is only so big. Take him out!" He reluctantly takes him. Anywho, just before 5 a.m. he began whining again, this time he does go potty for sure. So when hubby brings him back in and crates him, bless his heart, he begins whining. So, I just got up out of my comfy, warm bed and brought him and crate in here with me to the office/computer room. He is still whiney (I mean hey, he has left Mom, Dad, litter mates for this place). So I keep talking to him letting him know he is fine. Oh, and I have some puppy soothing music playing on YouTube.

Thing is, I do work part time, I am NOT going to be able to do this constantly, on my work days. I am sure I am not the only one working who has guard dogs though. I think where there is a will there is a way.

Maybe hubby things his presence will deter (I am no so sure about that). I am thinking he needs to be trained on how to be a true guard dog vs. pet. Clearly, a heapa buncha reading is on our plates. Read that, MY plate.

Attachments

• 20230308_174610.jpg
    20230308_174610.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image000001(11).jpg
    image000001(11).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image000000(30).jpg
    image000000(30).jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
He is awfully cute! But yes guard dogs take A LOT of work. And honestly can take 2 or more years before being able to be a true guard dog. They do have it in them but they still need to be taught how to do their job. You still have to stop chasing, they need lots of time and energy. They really need someone dedicated to them. As a pet would be one thing, but you wouldn’t be able to have the chickens running around in the yard with the dog without proper training. He could honestly be setting him up for failure if it isn’t done right. Any dog “could” detour predictors but it is also not a guarantee. Most, maybe not all, people with these type of guard dogs have them living outside, as most predators are nocturnal, all the time. He can’t really do his job being inside.

I would have your husband set down and actually do some research before jumping on this bandwagon and hoping he is just going to know how to do his job.

He is awfully cute! But yes guard dogs take A LOT of work. And honestly can take 2 or more years before being able to be a true guard dog. They do have it in them but they still need to be taught how to do their job. You still have to stop chasing, they need lots of time and energy. They really need someone dedicated to them. As a pet would be one thing, but you wouldn’t be able to have the chickens running around in the yard with the dog without proper training. He could honestly be setting him up for failure if it isn’t done right. Any dog “could” detour predictors but it is also not a guarantee. Most, maybe not all, people with these type of guard dogs have them living outside, as most predators are nocturnal, all the time. He can’t really do his job being inside.

I would have your husband set down and actually do some research before jumping on this bandwagon and hoping he is just going to know how to do his job.
All that you said is true. Meanwhile, dog is HERE (hubby too, LOL). As I said (or thought) I was out raking yard and bam, here he walks up with said creature.

All that you said is true. Meanwhile, dog is HERE (hubby too, LOL). As I said (or thought) I was out raking yard and bam, here he walks up with said creature.
Yeah, I understand where you are at with it. I feel your frustration…if that is really what we want to call it. But either way I know where you are coming from. I would just make him read on this and know that it isn’t as easy as it seems. I want one because of the area we are in but I don’t have a lot of time right at the moment to train one and work with one. It honestly isn’t instant. He does have the right idea for a protector for a flock, just have to put a lot of time and energy into it. Even a blue heeler you would need to do the same thing.

Last week or before he was 14 lbs. The other day hubby says he was looking for me. I left instructions for him to parade my photo before gum everyday so he won't forget me. :D
:D

You have reminded me to weigh him when I go back and to record the results. he is so stinkin' cute. So far he has not messed with our chickens.

The other day I went and ordered some EE frizzles - 3 pullets. I hope somebody has the frizzzle gene. If not at least we will have eggs come December.

Back
Top Bottom