Shy Puppy?

You should continue to socialize him, but only with people you know well. It's a liability to take an unpredictable dog to a nursing home or to let a child pet it. However, you may want to check in with a trainer. Some dogs are "leash-reactive" only. It's something about being on a leash that makes them reactive. They could be more anxious, or protecting you, or feeling constricted by the leash. I can't tell what it is because I haven't met the dog, but a good trainer might know. Be wary of so-called "positive reinforcement ONLY" trainers. Find a balanced trainer who has an open mind to understand that different dogs need different training. Best of luck to you, but please avoid risky socialization scenarios. He is showing warnings that he could bite, and you should take that seriously while you address the issues with a trainer.

You should continue to socialize him, but only with people you know well. It's a liability to take an unpredictable dog to a nursing home or to let a child pet it. However, you may want to check in with a trainer. Some dogs are "leash-reactive" only. It's something about being on a leash that makes them reactive. They could be more anxious, or protecting you, or feeling constricted by the leash. I can't tell what it is because I haven't met the dog, but a good trainer might know. Be wary of so-called "positive reinforcement ONLY" trainers. Find a balanced trainer who has an open mind to understand that different dogs need different training. Best of luck to you, but please avoid risky socialization scenarios. He is showing warnings that he could bite, and you should take that seriously while you address the issues with a trainer.
I understand what you’re saying about the liability issue. I wonder if it is a leash only issue because when he is off the leash he does better 🤔 He’s reserved, but he acts much calmer. I’ve noticed when walking him if we either say hello to people passing by or if they say hello to us, then he doesn’t bark, but if the passerbys don’t acknowledge us then he will. Thank you 😊

Hi,
I have 3 shelties. They are a wonderful breed, but they aren’t necessarily golden retriever type friendly with other people. I have one Sheltie who I would describe as reactive/insecure with children. But because I’m very cautious he’s never had an incident in the 2.5 years I’ve had him. My friend who I got him from told me he could bark at children and he didn’t like them, so what I’ve done is never let children pet him. If a child asks, I’ll politely say no, or if I have my child friendly sheltie with me, I’ll let the child pet that one instead. If the child runs up without asking I will pick up my dog, move away quickly, or block with my body if no other option. Basically I will do whatever necessary to protect him from children - at the same time I’m protecting the children from getting a negative experience. If there are children nearby, I will keep my dog’s focus on me with treats and praise. He’s very focused and obedient so he really doesn’t care about children unless they rush up to him.

What I’ve noticed is that my dog can now relax and focus on me even when children are a few feet away. He no longer appears anxious. I think he trusts that I will protect him. He might even be ok with children petting him now but I don’t risk it.

So personally, I wouldn’t let random people pet a reactive Sheltie. Let your dog know it’s ok to be around people, but he doesn’t have to interact. Sometimes taking the pressure of interaction away from a reactive dog can help a lot.

Hi,
I have 3 shelties. They are a wonderful breed, but they aren’t necessarily golden retriever type friendly with other people. I have one Sheltie who I would describe as reactive/insecure with children. But because I’m very cautious he’s never had an incident in the 2.5 years I’ve had him. My friend who I got him from told me he could bark at children and he didn’t like them, so what I’ve done is never let children pet him. If a child asks, I’ll politely say no, or if I have my child friendly sheltie with me, I’ll let the child pet that one instead. If the child runs up without asking I will pick up my dog, move away quickly, or block with my body if no other option. Basically I will do whatever necessary to protect him from children - at the same time I’m protecting the children from getting a negative experience. If there are children nearby, I will keep my dog’s focus on me with treats and praise. He’s very focused and obedient so he really doesn’t care about children unless they rush up to him.

What I’ve noticed is that my dog can now relax and focus on me even when children are a few feet away. He no longer appears anxious. I think he trusts that I will protect him. He might even be ok with children petting him now but I don’t risk it.

So personally, I wouldn’t let random people pet a reactive Sheltie. Let your dog know it’s ok to be around people, but he doesn’t have to interact. Sometimes taking the pressure of interaction away from a reactive dog can help a lot.
Thank you 😊 I’ll take him out to get him socialized, but instead of letting people pet him, I’ll say no. You’re right- that would take pressure away from him. I’ve had two people be annoyingly persistent wanting to pet him- usually if he appears calm/just taking everything in, I let people pet him. But I’ve had an instance before where he has been barking and someone has asked to pet him, not wanting to take no for an answer she just did. In those situations, I could simply say he’s not friendly and bites. It wouldn’t do any harm, would it, to tell someone that?

Also, since you’ve had shelties, is there any amount of socializing or bringing him in public areas that would make him comfortable around people- not necessarily everyone’s best friend… I wouldn’t want that, but a dog who is comfortable enough for strangers to pet him?

I was thinking about taking him to puppy classes in May after school is out. I’ll have extra time for it then- we’ve already been working on training, but I thought puppy classes would be good too. He can sit, lie down, recall, stay, and right now I’m working on heel. But I figured at the puppy classes if we went he would get used to being around other dogs and people. He actually likes other dogs. It’s just people he is shy around.

Thank you 😊 I’ll take him out to get him socialized, but instead of letting people pet him, I’ll say no. You’re right- that would take pressure away from him. I’ve had two people be annoyingly persistent wanting to pet him- usually if he appears calm/just taking everything in, I let people pet him. But I’ve had an instance before where he has been barking and someone has asked to pet him, not wanting to take no for an answer she just did. In those situations, I could simply say he’s not friendly and bites. It wouldn’t do any harm, would it, to tell someone that?

Also, since you’ve had shelties, is there any amount of socializing or bringing him in public areas that would make him comfortable around people- not necessarily everyone’s best friend… I wouldn’t want that, but a dog who is comfortable enough for strangers to pet him?

I was thinking about taking him to puppy classes in May after school is out. I’ll have extra time for it then- we’ve already been working on training, but I thought puppy classes would be good too. He can sit, lie down, recall, stay, and right now I’m working on heel. But I figured at the puppy classes if we went he would get used to being around other dogs and people. He actually likes other dogs. It’s just people he is shy around.
Absolutely say no and thr he isnt friendly.
With the DO NOT PET patches i have found people in my town to stay farther away. Im finishing muzzle training before trying to go into stores again.

A puppy class could be a great idea

Absolutely say no and thr he isnt friendly.
With the DO NOT PET patches i have found people in my town to stay farther away. Im finishing muzzle training before trying to go into stores again.

A puppy class could be a great idea
Thank you! I could see into getting him some kind of “ Do Not Pet “ harness.

Okay, thanks!

Yes, socialization doesn't mean the dog needs to interact with everyone he sees. In the case of a persistent person, you just need to be stern. Put yourself between them and the dog. It's a good habit to put yourself between your dog and other people in general. Gives you a lot more time and options if something happens (example you have more time to react if some random kid starts heading for your dog, but you don't want them interacting).

Don't feel bad about telling someone not to pet your dog. Yell at them if you have to. They are not entitled to petting your dog. And this type of person would 100% make trouble for you if your dog nipped at/bite them, even if you said no.

For socialization, you could take your dog to a park, pick a spot where the dog can see people but out of the way, and practice obedience. This will help with strengthening obedience training, help with distraction training, teach your dog that they'll need to listen even in public, and will be great for building your bond. This will help him become more comfortable in public and build his confidence in general. Though I would also still recommend group training classes.

How old is your Sheltie?

I know some people say “Don’t pet my dog, he bites” and that works for them. Personally I don’t, because I’m worried people will overreact. I just say “I’m sorry, he’s afraid of children”, or something like that. And move farther away if I have to. It’s awful that some people won’t take no for an answer. So rude.

Oops, I wasn’t done typing 😅

You asked if your sheltie can become comfortable around people with more socializing. Absolutely! Many shelties love people. Of course I can’t say how your Sheltie in particular will turn out, but don’t give up. I would focus on rewarding your dog for calm behavior whenever new people are around. Start off not to close, and then move closer IF your dog is doing well. I highly recommend the “Control Unleashed” books.

Of my 3 shelties:
Kip, 4 years old. No reactivity, loves children. Will let anyone pet him but he isn’t going to run up to people for attention. He is very focused on me and will ignore people if he is in training mode.

Brie, 4 years old. Very much a one person dog and couldn’t care less about the existence of other people. He will let adults pet him but he doesn’t care about it one way or another and will practically never seek attention from other people. That being said, he isn’t afraid either. Initially he was anxious around children. He is the one I described previously. At this point he will ignore children and is relaxed around them but I don’t get too close.

Story is 2. He is generally very confident but also not very interested in other people. He will let some people pet him but doesn’t really enjoy it. Initially he was nervous around children but he is getting more confident. Like my other dogs, he can focus and relax around any people

Back
Top Bottom