Rescue blue heeler peeing problems

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hello lovelies! Long time no see!

I adopted a rescue blue heeler on Saturday. She's 2 years old and getting spayed in January. She is pretty much the perfect dog except for two minor things: she is afraid of men (my family and I think she may have been abused by a man - she is very affectionate with me + my mom but nervous around my brother) and she refuses to pee on a leash. She was in a foster-to-adopt home before but their other dog was aggressive towards her - the family had nothing but good things to say about her when they returned her to the shelter. She is shy but sweet and very food motivated. She is also house trained/kennel trained.

I live in a second floor apartment with my 2 family members, and there is plenty of room for her to walk around in here (3 bed, 2 bath apt) but obviously we do not have a backyard. We think that her foster home just let her out in the yard to pee and didn't train her to pee on a leash. She is fine pooping on a leash but will not pee. We have a small-medium fenced in dog park in our complex that is almost always deserted, so every morning we go and sit in there after she eats so she can do her business. For the past few mornings she's peed in there off-leash and will poop as well. I take her down there when I need her to pee before she's in her kennel when no one's home/when she needs a walk. She has peed 3 times inside the apartment, twice on her first night and once again this morning; I just found the puddle under the fiddle leaf fig.

TL;DR: 2 year old female blue heeler rescue won't pee on a leash but will pee off leash in yards, problematic since I am in a second floor apartment, has accidents inside sometimes.

Any advice for leash training or just on the whole situation in general is most appreciated!

(Obligatory dog pic. Her name is Cora!)
IMG_1250.jpeg

Heelers are special souls. Congrats on your new baby! :love

Consider talking with your vet about it for one thing.

But have you seen these indoor/patio potty stations? It would be worth looking into.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ind...i57j0i512l9.8469j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Otherwise.. patience and practice for what you desire..

One trick I've seen used.. get something the dog has peed on (or a towel you've cleaned it up with) and take it out with you then put down by the bush etc while she is on the leash.

:fl

Just be patient. She’s still settling in. Also these dogs are very smart and sometimes stubborn. You have to be more stubborn and just wait her out until she goes. Then make a huge deal about it. Throw a party. She’ll get the picture.

Take her to the dog park, but keep her on leash until she pees. Be patient, calm and give her time. When she does go, lots of praise and treats. Sadly, many dogs are still " housetrained" by being punished when caught going inside. Then the dogs learn that it is bad to pee in front of people, not that it is bad to pee inside. She needs to learn that it is safe to pee in front of you. Not only safe, but good things happen then. Never punish her for peeing in the house, ever. I had the same issue when I adopted a dog from a rescue. I have a yard, so it didn't seem like an issue at first, but then he had shoulder surgery and had to be on leash only for four months. It took an hour for him to finally let go the first time. Lots of praise and treats soon taught him that it was the going outside that was desired. Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom