Pikelet the spaniel with dog adhd (hyperkinesis)

Seems to me like she's really confused about what you want from her. I didn't watch all the videos, but the ones I did watch look like she is continually looking to you for direction, but you aren't giving her any commands, or you aren't making her fully follow through on a command.

Example, you say come and she comes toward you but not all the way. You didn't correct that so she's learning the wrong action for that command. She sat on the mat like you asked but you gave her no feedback, so she started doing other things to try to figure out what it is you wanted from her. You have to give her those small victories, especially since you say she isn't learning. I would be marking the behavior the moment her butt hits the mat. Wait till she really understands and executes a command well, then you can build up the amount of time you want her to sit. Seems like she is very eager to please, but she just doesn't know what you want.

The free running in the field looks like she's just entertaining herself because you aren't asking anything of her. Maybe she doesn't really like chasing that ball. My dog will chase a ball once or twice and then go find something more fun to do. Bring out his favorite squeaky raccoon toy and he'll fetch that toy until he's tired.

I bet she would really like scent training. I took a class with my dog just for fun. He learned it quickly. Five minute of scent work is like 30 minutes of walking because they are using their brains. Mental stimulation is very important, probably more so for a hunting breed.

Do you still think about rehoming her?
Forgive me if I missed big part of your thread, I haven't been on for a while.
No, seems like every reason why we wanted to rehome her could be caused by whatever is going on and my mother has kind of adopted her as her dog 😆

Seems to me like she's really confused about what you want from her. I didn't watch all the videos, but the ones I did watch look like she is continually looking to you for direction, but you aren't giving her any commands, or you aren't making her fully follow through on a command.

Example, you say come and she comes toward you but not all the way. You didn't correct that so she's learning the wrong action for that command. She sat on the mat like you asked but you gave her no feedback, so she started doing other things to try to figure out what it is you wanted from her. You have to give her those small victories, especially since you say she isn't learning. I would be marking the behavior the moment her butt hits the mat. Wait till she really understands and executes a command well, then you can build up the amount of time you want her to sit. Seems like she is very eager to please, but she just doesn't know what you want.

The free running in the field looks like she's just entertaining herself because you aren't asking anything of her. Maybe she doesn't really like chasing that ball. My dog will chase a ball once or twice and then go find something more fun to do. Bring out his favorite squeaky raccoon toy and he'll fetch that toy until he's tired.
That’s because they aren’t videos of an actual training session, some of her behaviour is definitely not knowing what to do. What I wanted to show was the twitching, her sudden head movements to the side and her eyes are flicking around a lot

I bet she would really like scent training. I took a class with my dog just for fun. He learned it quickly. Five minute of scent work is like 30 minutes of walking because they are using their brains. Mental stimulation is very important, probably more so for a hunting breed.
I tried scent work with her but she couldn’t concentrate long enough for it. It just ended up frustrating for both of us 😅

That’s because they aren’t videos of an actual training session, some of her behaviour is definitely not knowing what to do. What I wanted to show was the twitching, her sudden head movements to the side and her eyes are flicking around a lot

I tried scent work with her but she couldn’t concentrate long enough for it. It just ended up frustrating for both of us 😅
She’s still a baby. Maybe when she’s older she will be able to focus for longer

She’s still a baby. Maybe when she’s older she will be able to focus for longer
She is all most a year old she should be able to focus longer then an 8 week old puppy! And she doesn’t just lose interest then just go and sniff, she will start sniffing stop look at me, look somewhere else, look at me , sniff while running off, randomly start running (just running nothing else) into the field. she is also unable to focus on doing one thing for long, including chewing, watching what somebody is doing, sniffing

She is all most a year old she should be able to focus longer then an 8 week old puppy! And she doesn’t just lose interest then just go and sniff, she will start sniffing stop look at me, look somewhere else, look at me , sniff while running off, randomly start running (just running nothing else) into the field. she is also unable to focus on doing one thing for long, including chewing, watching what somebody is doing, sniffing
When did you try the sniffing though? Surely you didn’t just try it now? You must’ve tried it when she was even younger? Puppies in general are quite ADD. She’s just much more so it seems.

Back
Top Bottom