Nigerian Dwarf health questions!

lnm03

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 6, 2008
Hey there! My daughter is in FFA and just purchased a 3 month old registered Nigerian Dwarf doe, named Miley, to show. She’s cute as can be. We’ve had her for 4 days.

My daughter gave her a bath when we got her Thursday evening because she was very dirty and she got another one Saturday because she peed all over herself in her crate on the way to the school to meet up with her teacher.

Today, she started shaking her head and itching her ears a lot. Could she have gotten water in her ears? Or could it be mites? I don’t see any visible signs of mites or lice, no scans in the ears, no gunk, they’re clean.

Is there anything I can do for her? She seems to be itching the left ear more than the right.

Also, the lady we got her from gave her a CDT vaccine and said she’s due again in 3 months then she will get it once every year. However, she did not deworm her as she only deworms when they need it. A lot of goats in Florida have been over wormed and wormers no longer work for strains of worms. Do I need to deworm her, or is this information correct!

My last question/concern, she has goopy/crusty eyes, when I reached out, she said it’s most likely environmental change. Is there something more we need to do for our precious little girl?

Thank you for your advice!

First thing to do is find a local goat vet. You may not take it to the vet for a lot of stuff, but you don't want to be calling around trying to find a vet if you have an emergency.

Start looking for another goat. Goats are herd animals and don't do well alone. Make sure to only get goats from clean, tested herds. If your current goat wasn't tested, get it tested so you know you aren't exposing other goats.

I would not worm unless needed. If you aren't sure, get a fecal done. Over worming causes issues, as you are already aware.

The ear may be water if you aren't seeing signs of mites. If may also be allergies. I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't resolve itself in a couple days. Vit E can sometimes help with allergies.

Crusty eyes could be an issue or could be allergies. I've had kids get a little crusty just from dust and what not blowing in the wind. I'd use a warm, moist cloth to clean them up. If they are really red, swollen and/or pussy, have a vet take a look.

First thing to do is find a local goat vet. You may not take it to the vet for a lot of stuff, but you don't want to be calling around trying to find a vet if you have an emergency.

Start looking for another goat. Goats are herd animals and don't do well alone. Make sure to only get goats from clean, tested herds. If your current goat wasn't tested, get it tested so you know you aren't exposing other goats.

I would not worm unless needed. If you aren't sure, get a fecal done. Over worming causes issues, as you are already aware.

The ear may be water if you aren't seeing signs of mites. If may also be allergies. I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't resolve itself in a couple days. Vit E can sometimes help with allergies.

Crusty eyes could be an issue or could be allergies. I've had kids get a little crusty just from dust and what not blowing in the wind. I'd use a warm, moist cloth to clean them up. If they are really red, swollen and/or pussy, have a vet take a look.
Thank you for your response! I am taking her to the vet tomorrow as every morning she has a lot of puss in the corner of her eye.

As far as more goats, we are going to board her at a friends house and she has 3 goats. However I want to make sure everything is okay with her before I take her there so if something is wrong, she’s not making her goats sick!

Thank you for your response! I am taking her to the vet tomorrow as every morning she has a lot of puss in the corner of her eye.

As far as more goats, we are going to board her at a friends house and she has 3 goats. However I want to make sure everything is okay with her before I take her there so if something is wrong, she’s not making her goats sick!
That's a good move. You don't want to spread something.

Back
Top Bottom