Sprayed chickens with hose and now sounds like crackling in lungs.

CrystalLuvsHens

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 11, 2015
Texas
I have been reading threads for hours and cant seem to find one that fits my issue.

I live in Texas and it is over a hundred degrees. I have a mister going in the backyard, I spray the soil to cool it, put out cool in a bowl (that is big enough to get in to if they want) water a couple times a day, give watermelon, and they have tons of shade trees. They are still open mouth breathing from being so hot. I read in a thread that people are spraying their chickens with the water hose to help cool them. I have been spraying my chickens one a day when its the hottest and now 2 chickens have crackling sounds when they breath and one coughs. Could I have sprayed them in the face to much and they ingested water into their lungs?

I REALLY soaked them because it is soooo hot. I already had a chicken die from heat stroke a couple weeks ago.

I brought the two sick sounding ones indoors and have been giving them antibiotics. No nasty beak or eyes. They dont smell bad from their face.

Has anybody had this happen to them? Suggestions?

Sounds respiratory. Sorry I have never had this happen with my birds, will ask my friends who have had a small flock for a while up in Southern Ca. It gets pretty hot up here, so they may have some experience. In the meanwhile, you can freeze water bottles and milk jugs for the outdoor chickens to sleep next to so you don't have to spray them. Here are some more ideas on how to keep them cool: Keep their water bowls filled with cold water and ice cubes. Mist them every six hours or so. Feed them cold watermelon. Set up a couple of boxes that you precool in the fridge. The chickens will go inside and cool down. Try to cool the boxes every two or three hours.

They are doing great! I think I got water in their mouths.........as strange as that sounds. My flock is happy with the ice water and cold watermelon. They say, thank you :) I have a mister set up that runs from the faucet so its always running now during the day. I was turning it on after it was hot. Now its on all day and I think it made a HUGE difference. Anyone in a hot environment I highly suggest a mister all day. Misters are less then $30.

Back
Top Bottom