Behavior help!

asismommy

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2015
Hello. We have 2 buffs and 2 astralorps that we raised from 2 days old. They were all born on 3/17. They aren't free range but have a huge coop and run. It is about the size of a two car garage. A few days ago one of the astralorps attacked a buff to the point we had to bring her to see the vet. She required stitches. The vet said she usually doesn't see a beak do that much damage. I cannot get this chicken to leave the buff alone. I have tried keeping them seperate during the day but together at night and rubbing her down with anti-peck. She immediately runs up to her, jumps on her back and starts attacking. These girls are our pets and it would devastate me to have to get rid of one or two. I should mention only one has started laying and it is one of the buffs. We are unsure which one. Hoping someone has words of advice or suggestions. Thank you so much!

You can try putting pinless peepers on the aggressive one, that might help. Also split her away from the flock for a week in a place that she cannot see the others and they can't see her. This will take her out of the pecking order, and when reintroducing her she should get knocked down a few pegs. If neither of these work, you may have to give her away for the sake of your other girls :(

Do you have a picture of the aggressive one? Is there any chance that it's a cockerel and the attacking is actually a very violent attempt at mating? Hens can easily be injured during mating by an overzealous cockerel.

Last edited:

Thank you for the thoughts and ideas. The one in question is the one in front.

Put the aggressive one in a wire dog crate, with food/water, right in the coop and/or run and/or range area for several days and nights.
Move her crate around to where the other birds are at the time so sh'e not alone but can't be physical with them.

After a few days/nights of that let her out and see what happens.
If she attacks again, back in the crate but out of sight of the other birds for a few days....then try reintroducing.

If she's still mean you may have to get rid of her....some birds are just 'bad'.

Back
Top Bottom