How to integrate new pullets with more established flock of pastured hens

FreeRangePamela

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Texas Hill Country
Hi, Folks:

I've read everything I can find about introducing new chickens to an established flock, but I haven't seen anything that addresses this particular situation.

We have a backyard flock of 7 hens and we got 4 day-old baby chicks in April. They're now 14 weeks old. We've kept them in a separate enclosure until this weekend, though they have had opportunities to mix for a few weeks when we let both groups out to free range. (Mostly, the big ones just intimidate the little ones.)

This weekend, we moved their enclosure down to near the other coop, but when it came time to roost, they stayed in the area where their enclosure/coop was formerly located. We moved them, by hand, down to the big coop with the big chickens to sleep.

To prevent too much pecking, etc. I've been letting them out of the coop as early as possible for the last couple of mornings and all has gone well in terms of pullets not getting hurt. BUT, as soon as I let them out, the younger ones and the older ones form two groups that stick together -- but don't hang out together as one flock. Last night, the little ones roosted on our back porch and we had to carry them down to the big coop again.

Is there anything I can do to promote flock cohesiveness and get the little ones accustomed to calling the big coop home? I feel like they need some forced interaction so they get the pecking order stuff over with and learn where everyone belongs, but I've been trying to give them plenty of room so no one gets stressed. Should I leave them in the coop for longer together or just keep doing like I've been doing and let things happen in time?

Thanks much in advance for your insight.

Best,
Pamela

What you are describing is pecking order. It is very common to have a subflock in your flock, when there is a difference in age. Even though my broody hens raise the chicks right in the flock, and with the broody's protection, the chicks are part of the flock. In the time period between 6 wks of age and laying, they tend to be a subflock.

Once they begin to lay, they are much more accepted by the layers, and generally cold winter weather helps.

Really you just have to wait, they have it solved to suit them, and they know more about chicken society than people do.

As for the chicks, you will just have to keep moving them a few more times, then they generally get it figured out.

The only question to check is the space issue, with 11 hens, inside the coop should be 44 sq feet, a fair size coop, do you have enough room? Enough roosting space.

Mrs K

As long as you have enough space in the coop with multiple food/water stations, places to get up and away from aggressors.....
.....leaving them in the coop a little longer in the mornings is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom