Creating 2 flocks instead of integrating new pullets

Julieugar

Chirping
Apr 11, 2023
We decided to add two 3 month pullets to our existing flock of three 10 month old chickens who free range during the day.

Our three happy chickens live in a little convertible coop. When we purchased it, it seemed like we could max out at 6 birds, spatially. So felt comfortable adding two more.

For the past two weeks the new 3 month olds are in a very small coop— a converted bunny hutch that I raised up and made the top into sleeping area with a roosting bar. We enclosed the space around with 4 foot wire. This little coop is tight and we only intended to keep them there for these first two weeks.

We are hesitant because we really aren’t sure if they can all fit in the bigger coop at night. I retrofitted that coop and it now has just one roosting bar that I installed to be higher than the nesting boxes. However, There is still a lower roost that the new 2 pullets could be on.

I’m wondering if I should not introduce the two new ones into the larger coop at all—and make these two separate flocks. We’d provide the new ones their own larger coop. I’d like advice on that.

Do separate flocks integrate during the day, and then go into separate coops at night? If that’s the case, we are considering getting another one of the convertible coops for the two new pullets.

I’d love for the 5 to integrate during the day because they would all free range together, and the three older girls seem to stick together and look out for each other.
We live on a couple acres of country property with many predators.

I’d like to add— the two new pullets are flyers and have gotten out and wandered into the bigger coop. And vice versa.
My concern is more focused on them having adequate space to sleep at night.

I’ll add pictures of the larger coop and the little one for some perspective. The interior pic shows the larger coop bar I put in

Thanks in advance for input of advice.

IMG_1789.jpeg
IMG_3255.jpeg
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_2267.jpeg

The space for sleeping is fine for how you have it setup. They will let you know as they get bigger if it still works for them. Usually in the form of bullying behavior. But I wouldn't worry. Keeping the young birds stress free actually helps with there overall health.

The important space is during the day. They need to be able to roam and do what chickens do. That would be the time we're both flock can mingle. And if a situation occurs the young ones can escape from a hen picking on them. And have multiple feeding and watering stations away from each other. This ensures everyone eats and drinks.

Once they integrate they will more than likely want to be in the same coop together. Have you thought about the money spent on them little coops could buy a really nice prefab shed and convert it to chicken duty with a nice big run for the same price or little more?

Edit... I missed that you have 2 coops already. Nevermind that last statement.

The space for sleeping is fine for how you have it setup. They will let you know as they get bigger if it still works for them. Usually in the form of bullying behavior. But I wouldn't worry. Keeping the young birds stress free actually helps with there overall health.

The important space is during the day. They need to be able to roam and do what chickens do. That would be the time we're both flock can mingle. And if a situation occurs the young ones can escape from a hen picking on them. And have multiple feeding and watering stations away from each other. This ensures everyone eats and drinks.
Thanks for your reply. I’m attaching pictures I just took. The larger coop with the branch roosting bar would have the lower roosting bar for the young ones. Would this work?

So—if I opt to get a separate coop for the new ones, will they integrate during the day? Then go to separate quarters at night?

Also another picture shows a more accurate depiction of the size of the little coop to the large one. It is cramped. I acquired this at some point to have for quarantining a sick chicken, not as a long term habitat.

Attachments

• IMG_3525.jpeg
    IMG_3525.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3526.jpeg
    IMG_3526.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3527.jpeg
    IMG_3527.jpeg
    700.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3528.jpeg
    IMG_3528.jpeg
    823.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for your reply. I’m attaching pictures I just took. The larger coop with the branch roosting bar would have the lower roosting bar for the young ones. Would this work?

So—if I opt to get a separate coop for the new ones, will they integrate during the day? Then go to separate quarters at night?

Also another picture shows a more accurate depiction of the size of the little coop to the large one. It is cramped. I acquired this at some point to have for quarantining a sick chicken, not as a long term habitat.
You need 2 roosting bars at the same level and spaced 2 feet or more from each other. Remove the one on the floor.

They will integrate on there own terms when you let them free during the day. But it will happen.

I saw your pullets in the run part and calculated there size and future size. For just 2 birds to sleep it will work. As they integrate with your existing flock they will most likely follow your older girls to there coop. But this takes time and observation on your part.

Back
Top Bottom