Chickerator....

Yolk62

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2015
So my "homemade" incubator is working but kinda hard to control temps and humidity etc..... tried to think of what I could use? Well, found a free wine fridge on usedvictoria, the guy was using it as a cigar humidor and his wife is pregnant so told him to quit cigars so he gave the fridge away.... smile emoticon I took the compressor etc out and rewired it so I could still use the internal thermometer and "sex light" and will plumb in a basic light fixture for heat and a computer fan for circulation and a digital remote thermostat and I should be good to go....welcome the Chickerator...

So I got an air vent installed in the Chickerator to help control air/heat flow as well as being able to adjust humidity levels.

Also made some trays from cut down plastic milk crates that will be used for holding the eggs in cartons for the first 18 days, manual turning which will be easy by just rotating the whole tray and tilting it to each side. During lock-down I will remove the eggs from the cartons and lay them in the trays that are lined with pieces of thin rubber yoga mat and the high sides protect the chicks from falling out after hatch.

Next step is installing a two bulb light fixture in the bottom for heat and a small fan for air movement. Humidity will come from a small tray on the bottom shelf with a sponge in water, there will be a tube plumbed to the outside so the tray can be topped up with out opening the door, especially during lock down when higher humidity will be needed.

The fridge has a digital temp display but I am not going to trust just that reading, I have a two stage digital thermometer with a remote probe that will be mounted directly in the center of the incubator on route, it will control the heat/lights as well as the fan for cooling and circulation. I also have a third unit that gives temps and humidity levels.

Once it is all together I plan on testing for a few days without eggs to make sure I can get a consistent suitable climate.

Making progress, got the lights/heat installed as well as the computer fan, both the lights and fan will be hooked up to a digital temperature controller for high and low range. All the wiring is nicely tucked away in the rear of the fridge where the compressor was.... ;-)

Chickerator is up and running.......... 72 eggs placed and holding steady at 99.5* and 45-50% humidity. (Gauge in the picture had just been set it place so reading not accurate)

Have to turn by hand but pretty easy, just pull the whole tray out and spin it 180* and set it back in.... will update with results.

LOCK DOWN for the Chickerator, only 11 eggs made it this far in the top tray, we knew most were not fertile because our rooster was young and new to the flock.... plus some early aborts.... so these are due Sun and the bottom tray, mid Sept.

I got the new digital temperature controller the other day, made by Inkbird, I must say I am impressed. Adjustable calibration, high and low adjustment points within 1*. Holding temps consistently at 100* to 99.5*....... ;-)

Fingers crossed.............

I would suggest on your next batch to mark some of the eggs with a sharpie. Keep a map of where the eggs are in the incubator then see if you have a hot spot problem with your design. Early hatch or late quitters in certain areas would indicate a problem.
I use a tray that are designed for a incubator (gfq I think) the trays can be bought off line fairly cheap and they allow more air flow to pass between the eggs. I also have slow speed fans (24v fans running at 12v) which act as air mixers rather than air movers to assist in balancing out the hot spots. I do like your design I just worry that with the eggs, trays, etc you could be causing hot spots.

Very valid points, I do have a fan and it seems to be spreading the air evenly but I will concentrate on locating any hot spots, thanks.

As of this morning I have one piping... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom