Alright.. a tray and maybe an egg turner i can operate without opening the box, and it's done!

IMG_20230626_134847037.jpg

IMG_20230626_134907085.jpg

For an egg turner i was thinking of that simple DIY method I've seen where they make a simple frame then add dowel rods to separate eggs into rows. I could build such a thing inside the box with about an inch or half inch gap for movement, and a screwed in removable dowel rod that sticks outside the box so i have a handle to move it back and forth with.

The fan was very quiet... Until i installed it :( the vibrations with the styrofoam amplify it strangely-- i checked tho be certain nothing is touching it. thinking maybe a thin layer of craft foam or two around the fan will cut down on noise, but it's not awful.

IMG_20230626_134920730.jpg

Excepting the fan since it's an outake, all the vents have been layered so tiny gnats can't easily get inside the incubator to go after the water dish.

I'm not kidding when i say that's a real concern for me-- i have a lot of indoor plants!

IMG_20230626_134958274.jpg

IMG_20230626_134940560.jpg

I'm so excited to make the tray. I've really enjoyed this little project!

The next version will be a little bigger (i like this height but longer would be great) someday, and prettier.

Time to go pick it some lightbulbs and start testing it!

Last edited:
Here's some pictures of my diy incubator I made from a wall shelf and put together 3 years ago. Total cost was about $20. Some of the materials I had that came from things around the house. I never had any issues with it breaking and it's easy to repair or replace parts for. Did about 15 hatches so far and light bulb I used is a 40 watt appliance bulb with a PC fan mounted above it.View attachment 3556540View attachment 3556541View attachment 3556544View attachment 3556543View attachment 3556545
That looks incredible!

Alright.. a tray and maybe an egg Turner i can operate without opening the box, and it's done!

View attachment 3556562
View attachment 3556566
For an egg turner i was thinking of that simple DIY method I've seen where they make a simple frame with dual rugs to separate eggs into rows. I could build such a thing inside the box with about an inch or half inch gap for movement, and a screwed in removable dowel rod that sticks outside the box so i have a handle to move.

The fan was very quiet... Until i installed it :( the vibrations with the foam amplify it strangely-- i checked tho be certain nothing is touching it. thinking maybe a thin layer of foam or two around the fan will cut down on noise, but it's not awful.

View attachment 3556573

Excepting the fan since it's an outake, all the vents have been layered so tiny gnats can't easily get inside the incubator to go after the water dish.

I'm not kidding when i say that's a real concern for me-- i have a lot of indoor plants!

View attachment 3556579

View attachment 3556580

The next version will be a little bigger (i like this height but longer would be great) someday, and prettier.

You need to redesign the placement of the fan. The purpose for the fan is to move the air inside, not to vent it out.

You need to redesign the placement of the fan. The purpose for the fan is to move the air inside, not to vent it out.
All the tutorials and conversations I've read so far about fan installation said you need the fan blowing air to the outside, not to the inside.

I figured the fan aiming sideways would keep the heat moving without letting hot pockets develop, it is a very small space. Where would you put it instead and why? How would you redesign it?

I know air movement is the main goal, but it's also to provide fresh oxygen, so the tiny air vents are staying. There are four chopstick-stabbed holes, so i can cover any up as needed, or I can add more easily, to get the temp and humidity to balance out.

I was thinking about this like how i do my green houses, both large and tiny ones. I raise tropical and desert plants that require good air circulation without the cost of stable heat and humidity while they're young plant babies, or they die or get hurt. So my goal (at the moment, if I've been approaching this all wrong I'm happy to change gears!) Is to maintain a steady, calm air flow that pulls the heat and humidity evenly throughout the space but without stagnant air. I want to open the incubator as little as possible, basically just for candling eggs, so it needs to stay clean and fresh inside.

Alright.. a tray and maybe an egg turner i can operate without opening the box, and it's done!

View attachment 3556562
View attachment 3556566
For an egg turner i was thinking of that simple DIY method I've seen where they make a simple frame then add dowel rods to separate eggs into rows. I could build such a thing inside the box with about an inch or half inch gap for movement, and a screwed in removable dowel rod that sticks outside the box so i have a handle to move it back and forth with.

The fan was very quiet... Until i installed it :( the vibrations with the styrofoam amplify it strangely-- i checked tho be certain nothing is touching it. thinking maybe a thin layer of craft foam or two around the fan will cut down on noise, but it's not awful.

View attachment 3556573

View attachment 3556579

View attachment 3556580

I think the fan is facing the wrong way (it is currently positioned to exhaust air).

Also, be mindful that during the cold season, pulling too much cold fresh air in could make it difficult to keep the incubator at the desired temperature. Likewise, if you live in a dry area, it could make it difficult to maintain high humidity.

I mentioned this because you have large opening to pull fresh air into the incubator. I had to make some modifications on my homemade incubator when I did the same thing in the original design.

Other than that I would be interesting in seeing the finished product in action.

All the tutorials and conversations I've read so far about fan installation said you need the fan blowing air to the outside, not to the inside.

I figured the fan aiming sideways would keep the heat moving without letting hot pockets develop, it is a very small space. Where would you put it instead and why? How would you redesign it?

I know air movement is the main goal, but it's also to provide fresh oxygen, so the tiny air vents are staying. There are four chopstick-stabbed holes, so i can cover any up as needed, or I can add more easily, to get the temp and humidity to balance out.

I was thinking about this like how i do my green houses, both large and tiny ones. I raise tropical and desert plants that require good air circulation without the cost of stable heat and humidity while they're young plant babies, or they die or get hurt. So my goal (at the moment, if I've been approaching this all wrong I'm happy to change gears!) Is to maintain a steady, calm air flow that pulls the heat and humidity evenly throughout the space but without stagnant air. I want to open the incubator as little as possible, basically just for candling eggs, so it needs to stay clean and fresh inside.
Interesting...about the tutorials you read regarding the fan exhausting fan.

In regards to the greenhouse, the purpose of the exhaust is to remove the excess heat during the hot summer months. I built a greenhouse but instead of installing an exhaust fan, we roll up the sides and open the door/window to allow heat to escape.

With an incubator I would think you want the opposite, to keep the heat and humidity in, LOL

Here is a link to the article depicting my homemade incubator build. There are links to 2 videos on how it is built and step-by-step instructions on how it was wired.

Wiring was probably the most uncomfortable part of the build, LOL.

Homemade Incubator Build w/ automatic egg turner

I think the fan is facing the wrong way (it is currently positioned to exhaust air).

Also, be mindful that during the cold season, pulling too much cold fresh air in could make it difficult to keep the incubator at the desired temperature. Likewise, if you live in a dry area, it could make it difficult to maintain high humidity.

I mentioned this because you have large opening to pull fresh air into the incubator. I had to make some modifications on my homemade incubator when I did the same thing in the original design.

Other than that I would be interesting in seeing the finished product in action.
The fan is indeed positioned to send air out, not in. It would be very easy to flip it, it's just set inside the wall not glued in. Is it supposed to face the other way? Could you provide a source discussing it, since i only found the places suggesting to have it vent outside?

The air intake vents are all the size of a chopstick (a touch smaller actually, since the foam likes to squish). I slapped one big cut of screen over a row of three holes to save myself some work 🤣 the back wall has one vent. They are t i n y.

I do worry if maybe i should put the vents up high too so the fresh air can't touch eggs, but i wanted the fan offset from them so it will move air all through the box instead of just dragging it over the ceiling.

IMG_20230626_152359684.jpg

IMG_20230626_152353230.jpg

Right now, I'm planning to incubate during spring to go with the seasons (as much as i so badly want chicks right now eeeeee 🥰😍 just not ready for them yet!) Rather than stress myself to death doing it in winter, and for the first time at that.

On the plus side, or house is very stable for temp and i have many options for places to put it that would protect the air coming inside the incubator. Humidity is really good in my house as well, on account of the indoor jungle 😂

I will be easily able to cover the vent holes it they prove to be too much, so i guess I'll give this a test run to see how it works as is!

For my greenhouses, i actually need that air circulation, otherwise mold or bug infestation is a risk, and i hate the smell of stagnant air because it can give me a headache. My greenhouses are all indoor ones, however, so i have grow lights instead of using the sun. Less so in the house i live in now, but my previous home was very prone to molding 🤢 bleurgh!

Back
Top Bottom