chicken poop and dogs.

pdbombero

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
I have 7 chickens I let free range in the yard. I usually only let them free range in the pasture, but they like the green yard better. Will the chicken poop mess with a dogs digestive system. I have heard it will. I have 2 German Shepherd dogs.
Thanks in advance!!
Carlos

That's a very good question! I have 2 chickens only right now which I let roam every afternoon and my 2 dogs eagerly search for their poop to eat. I try to stop them but they seem to regard it as a special treat.

Anyone know the consequences?

I have 7 chickens I let free range in the yard. I usually only let them free range in the pasture, but they like the green yard better. Will the chicken poop mess with a dogs digestive system. I have heard it will. I have 2 German Shepherd dogs.
Thanks in advance!!
Carlos

welcome-byc.gif

I don't think that it will do any harm to your dogs' digestive tract but I do have it on very good authority that eating chicken poo will result in the dog's owners refusing to let their pooches lick the owners on the chops or clean up their dinner plates.

Eating chicken poop did result in my Gramp's dog dying. The dog ran into the road to get to a tempting chicken poop and he got hit by a pickup truck.
lau.gif

Last edited:
I've got a German Shepard mix that has been grazing for "chicken treats" for the past few years and we've seen no ill effects. I'd prefer he didn't but I can't watch him all the time.

I've never even thought of this! My dogs, cats and chickens all share a yard. I haven't had any issues aside from the occasional squabble over an extra tempting pile, it's gross but it doesn't seem to be hurting anyone. The cats and dogs both love it
sickbyc.gif

the only problem I have found is the poop scented breathe, mine also try to sneak donkey poop, now that one you can smell across the room. I assume this is why we are hardly ever sick, we have great immune systems around here.

I thought my rotties were just weird! So I am not the only one with poop eattinf pets! Hah ha

Back
Top Bottom