Adding a secure "free range" area to a coop and run

Justicedog

Crowing
11 Years
May 2, 2012
Maryland
I am thinking I need to make a larger run for my chickens. I have 5 chickens. Currently, my run is about 10'x17' with a 4'x8' cook in it and chickens have access to underneath and have actually dug out a large crater underneath. I had been letting them out into the yard every day. However, last fall, neighbor's dog got into my fenced yard, then into my run and killed my elder, retired hen while she was under the coop. My practice was that I'd go out in the morning, open the run door, let the chickens free range and at night, I'd go and close the run door. (I had one loss in over 12 years of doing it this way, and that was literally a loss - the hen just disappeared, no feathers or anything, just gone).

Apologies a $20 Tractor Supply Company gift card and neighbors promised that they'd keep a better eye on their dog, they reinforced their fence, though they don't know where it's breaching. The fence is about 3-4 feet with bushes in front of most of it. Neither of us had seen how it got out of their fence and into mine. Devil dog came back and was running around my yard with a mouth full of feathers. My chicken did seem to be uninjured otherwise.

So obviously, I cannot trust them to keep their dog contained so, I was thinking of creating a fenced free range area. Sort of putting a fence of some sort across the back corner of my yard and my coop and run would be inside of it.

I'm not looking for permanent, as we will be moving within the next 5 years. It would be about 100 feet. I like inexpensive and would like to see them. Any suggestions?

IMG_8319.jpg

I like inexpensive and would like to see them. Any suggestions?
I like effective and moveable over inexpensive.

I use electrified poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger. I purchased my net with double the number of fence poles from Kencove. I purchased the charger and ground rods from Tractor SC. I got the leadout wire from Amz.

My neighbors dog also killed a chicken of mine.

After my birds acclimated to their new pen, said dog was being walked by and lifted his leg to pee on the fence and got his comeuppance. A nifty jolt to his man parts and he let out a mighty yelp and was then terrified of getting too close to my fence again. That'll teach him.

Inexpensive, temporary, dog proof.... uhhhh.... I'm at a loss. I have temporary fencing within my permanent fencing which is a cheap roll of chicken wire with stakes. But it's not dog proof. Wouldn't permanent, dog proof fencing add to house value? Maybe electric fencing is what you need. It's not exactly ultra cheap but it checks the other boxes.

I was thinking some sort of 4-6 foot chain link fence that's attached to both fences (the back and the side). I just don't want them cemented into the ground.

The reason for it not to be permanent is it will be cutting across the back corner of a yard and would only be valuable to someone who wants chickens, otherwise, it messes up the yard. I just don't know how to put a fence in without it being cemented or deeply dug into the yard.

I'm wondering if something like a feedlot panel would work. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h. I just don't know how to secure it or what kind of posts are needed.

I was thinking some sort of 4-6 foot chain link fence that's attached to both fences (the back and the side). I just don't want them cemented into the ground.

The reason for it not to be permanent is it will be cutting across the back corner of a yard and would only be valuable to someone who wants chickens, otherwise, it messes up the yard. I just don't know how to put a fence in without it being cemented or deeply dug into the yard.

I'm wondering if something like a feedlot panel would work. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h. I just don't know how to secure it or what kind of posts are needed.

A chain link fence has a rigid top bar that the chickens will fly up to then over to the other side. And it will be much more expensive than poultry netting with a charger.

Electrified wire on t posts. Take it with you when you move.
I'm no expert on this but seems like the least expensive/labor considering you don't want to bury/concrete posts. Any other fencing won't stop a dog unless it's tall.
The netting that @DobieLover mentioned is also a great suggestion.

Electrified wire on t posts. Take it with you when you move.
I'm no expert on this but seems like the least expensive/labor considering you don't want to bury/concrete posts. Any other fencing won't stop a dog unless it's tall.
The netting that @DobieLover mentioned is also a great suggestion.
Wires on T-posts may stop the dog but it's not going to stop the chickens. Having a electrified fence up that allows the chickens to get to the other side of it isn't going to stop them from getting killed by the dog. The netting is the way to go to keep ground predators away from the chickens and the chickens inside their protection.

Wires on T-posts may stop the dog but it's not going to stop the chickens. Having a electrified fence up that allows the chickens to get to the other side of it isn't going to stop them from getting killed by the dog. The netting is the way to go to keep ground predators away from the chickens and the chickens inside their protection.
Ahhhhh yes.. I stand corrected.
Thank you 👍

I just had 'stopping the dog' on the brain.

Chain link is not the way to go, it needs support/framing and it's very hard to work with. My entire run is chain link. You could look at Hog wire fence panels as alternative to chain link, much easier to do what you're wanting to do but I don't know what size dog you're dealing with. My 160 pound Leonberger would push through any wire fencing that is not secure enough (posts.)

Chain link is not the way to go, it needs support/framing and it's very hard to work with. My entire run is chain link. You could look at Hog wire fence panels as alternative to chain link, much easier to do what you're wanting to do but I don't know what size dog you're dealing with. My 160 pound Leonberger would push through any wire fencing that is not secure enough (posts.)
The dog is a medium sized/knee height 40 pound mix.

Part of my other thought is it would keep the chickens on the side of the yard away from the devil's yard. My chickens are really stupid and go right up to the chain link fence dividing our property. I did notice that they did all run into their coop when devil dog came out in the yard. (I'd let them out for the first time in months 2 days ago and notified the neighbors to watch their dog)

Back
Top Bottom