Introducing older hens?

Slvdh2000

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
Michigan
hello! I'm in a very tough position right now and I would love it if you could help me. So...I have 8, 4 month old chickens and one of them is laying consistently. This is strange for a four month old chicken. We don't know who the culprit is. On the other hand, my friend doesn't want her two chickens anymore. She just can't find the time to take care of them. I will be "adopting" them and they will forever be in my care. But, these two chickens are older than mine. They are consistent layers and are supposively very friendly. Because they are layers, I can't just leave them in a fenced off area in my coop. My coop is very large and can hold up to 15 chickens. I have space but I don't have any clue what to do with the new comers! I've researched and found little information, but not enough. If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

On the bright side, the bigger hens may be able to handle themselves with larger numbers of smaller birds.

To find the culprit place fingers between the pelvic bones of your pullets. The one laying will have much more space there than the non-layers. Also her vent will be moist and likely the comb and wattle will be larger and brighter red.

Last edited:
There are as many different ways to add chickens to the flock as there are chicken keepers. Many will quarantine for a month or so before adding to the flock, then taking a "sacrificial bird" from the flock to add to the new comers to be sure they aren't carriers of something that will wipe out your flock. Now, to truly quarantine, you need a whole 'nother coop and run setup, about 300' between coops, another feeder and waterer and the time and energy to change clothes and shoes between coops every time you go out to do chores or do anything with either coop. (I personally don't do this, but wanted to throw that out there for you.) Another option if you don't have the means or feel the need to properly quarantine, is to separate within the coop. They'll lay whether you have nest boxes out for them or not. They'd just lay in the corner of their pen. Separating for a week or so might alleviate the stress of an immediate introduction and could lessen the intensity of pecking order squabbles. No guarantee, but it could. Or, you can just bring them home and introduce them and let the chips fall where they may. You would likely want to supervise this method to make sure that no one gets injured to the point of bloodshed. If that should happen, Blu-Kote is a nice thing to have on hand for such injuries. You're the only one who knows your setup and what will work best for it. You can add them at night, but believe me. Your current chickens will know that there are strangers in their midst when they wake up. I've tried it a few times, and the only thing it did was prolong the inevitable.

YOU WORRY TOOOOO MUCH..... Just add them to your flock and let it be. I know there are many peeps here that would nearly string me up for saying this..
hide.gif
They raise chickens by scientific rules. I on the other hand am a REALIST. I have been keeping chickens for nearly 18 years ... I only keep a small flock and only for pets. I don't eat my chickens, but do eat the eggs. Whenever my numbers go low, I go to the SWAP MEET and purchase some replacements. I just add them to my flock... Of course the newcomers are initially at the bottom of the pecking order.. There is some chasing, I NEVER had any vicious attacks occur. I only keep hens. Maybe I'm LUCKY. I strive to keep an assortment of different breeds. They are all chickens and in VERY SHORT ORDER they all get along.
OK, so with this said, If you do just add them and real problems do surface,,, Separate them until they get used to seeing each other a while. If they are just chasing each other ( and that will happen ) and no serious injuries that result in bleeding occur, let them be together.

WISHING YOU BEST... SINCERELY
thumbsup.gif

I ha e one more question, where would I house them if they were to be fenced off in side of the coop? In the coop? Or in the run? Would they need a roost?

Hard to say. Can you post pictures of your setup? They would need shelter from the weather, and a secure place to sleep at night. They'd likely appreciate a roost.

If your coop is large enough, erect a temporary wall to create an area for new birds with roosts, feed/water and a portable floor nest.

I can't show you my coop, the pictures won't load. I'll describe it too you as beat as I can. My run is 8 by 13 and my coop is 8 by 3. Inside of the coop, there are two roosts and on the other side there is beating boxes. Could I put them in between in a cage? Would they not be happy? Can I sneak them in at night?

I can't show you my coop, the pictures won't load. I'll describe it too you as beat as I can. My run is 8 by 13 and my coop is 8 by 3. Inside of the coop, there are two roosts and on the other side there is beating boxes. Could I put them in between in a cage? Would they not be happy? Can I sneak them in at night?
At 8' x 3', your coop is not 'very large' by any means.
It's too small for the 8 birds you have already.....and would definitely not add any more birds.
It's going to seem even smaller once our Michigan winter snows hit.

Back
Top Bottom