When to introduce the new hen

Chickeemariee

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
I like to have 3 hens, that’s the amount I need in order to feed myself & frankly all I have space for. That being said, i just lost one of my hens to being egg bound and two days later a friend had a red sex link pullet she wanted to gift me. I know it would have been better to get two but my yard just doesn’t allow for that. My first day of having the new hen she laid her very first egg ever (that should help with her age) & my two older hens are about a year and a half each. I currently have the new one isolated and have the other two ranging where they can see her. My hen that passed was the top of the pecking order so I was hoping this would be a somewhat easy introduction as the other two are very mellow but even the bottom pecking order girl tried to square up with this new hen. I understand this is a slow process but wondering if anyone had advice or tips on how to make it a bit smoother?

It sounds like what you’re doing already is good…. keeping her separated but where they can all see each other. When you fully integrate, they’re probably going to pick on her. That’s natural. As long as she’s not getting harmed, the situation should work itself out. You could do the switch, and place her in the main enclosure while the other 2 get placed in hers for awhile. Or, you could put her in with the one who bullies her the least…. and put the main bully where you’re keeping her for awhile. That way, she won’t be totally ganged up on. I’m just giving you some options to consider. Integrating new chickens rarely goes 100% smoothly in the beginning. I think your girls will work it out. Good wishes for your girls. 😊

The thing is - don't introduce 1 new bird to 2 established birds - that makes it unfair, both picking on one. Instead, divide and conquer.

1st two days, put the two original birds where you have the new bird. Let the new bird explore the coop and run. Most confined birds will stay very close to the set up, even if they are let out into the yard. So if they won't fit where you currently have the new bird, just lock the new bird into the coop/run. This allows the new bird to explore without being chased, and gain some territorial rights. I swear that the old birds get used to seeing her in the coop and the sky does not fall.

At night, separate them, allowing the old girls to go into the coop to sleep. Rinse repeat.

Day 3, 4 - Add one old bird to the new bird in the coop/run. Leave the other bird out. There might be a dust up or two, but one on one - generally quickly settles. At night separate them as before, rinse repeat.

Day 5 - Let all three birds run around the yard, usually that gives them more space, and there might be a dust up or two. But should settle quickly, depending on how it is going, they will probably roost together that night.

Mrs K

The thing is - don't introduce 1 new bird to 2 established birds - that makes it unfair, both picking on one. Instead, divide and conquer.

1st two days, put the two original birds where you have the new bird. Let the new bird explore the coop and run. Most confined birds will stay very close to the set up, even if they are let out into the yard. So if they won't fit where you currently have the new bird, just lock the new bird into the coop/run. This allows the new bird to explore without being chased, and gain some territorial rights. I swear that the old birds get used to seeing her in the coop and the sky does not fall.

At night, separate them, allowing the old girls to go into the coop to sleep. Rinse repeat.

Day 3, 4 - Add one old bird to the new bird in the coop/run. Leave the other bird out. There might be a dust up or two, but one on one - generally quickly settles. At night separate them as before, rinse repeat.

Day 5 - Let all three birds run around the yard, usually that gives them more space, and there might be a dust up or two. But should settle quickly, depending on how it is going, they will probably roost together that night.

Mrs K
This is a great plan thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom