Introducing Rooster to flock

Rosieposie6

Chirping
Dec 3, 2023
Howdy. I bought a year old Rooster from a woman who needs him to be rehomed due to having too many roosters. He’s a gentle guy he’s an Olive Egger. I’m picking him up tomorrow! How do I integrate him into my flock. I don’t have any roosters only hens. I know with any rehomed chicken you wanna maybe isolate them for a few days to make sure there’s no illness but then what happens? Do roosters automatically dominate at the pecking order if they’re the only rooster? I’ve seen a lot of post about hens and their behaviors but I have no clue how to do this with an adult rooster.

I think best practice is to isolate them for several weeks just to make sure there are no issues. Respiratory issues in particular and viral things like Mareks can lie dormant. At the very least check him for mites and lice, make sure his crop emptied overnight and his poops are normal.

One year old is still technically a cockerel I think so be prepared for his hormones to surge when he meets your hens. Best if you can keep him in a look but don’t touch set up until they are all calm with each other and he tidbits to them through the fence. Or if you think he will be respectful you can see how he goes and if it’s too chaotic or he’s being aggressive with your girls then you can put him in a separate run.

There might be a bit of a kerfuful when you first put him with your girls. Mine have always been in love by morning. Unless it is bloody, do not interfere. They work it out best without humans.

Personally, I think you are getting the best type of rooster, raised in a multi-geneartional flock, and so nice, he didn't get the ax, but do know not all roosters work out, and some are nightmares.

Do know, that the rooster will change your relationship with your hens, they become his. They will look to him.

I am assuming your hens are laying? If not, wait until they are to add the rooster.

Take a good look at the place you get him, ask it they have recently added new birds, or if they go to shows or auctions...all of those places would be a good chance of picking up diseases. If so, the quarantine seriously.

The quarantine issue is real, if you have a flock you would be devastated to loose, or if you have a lot of money invested in your flock, or you have a rare and valuable flock, you need to take quarantine VERY SERiosly.

But if you just have a flock, and this person has a flock, and things look pretty healthy, well you can risk just adding him after a day or two.

Thing is if you cheat at quarantine, you may as well not do it. Most people cannot properly quarantine in a traditional back yard set up, there is not enogh space.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom