Introducing new hens to my flock

Beachgirl8796

Chirping
Dec 17, 2023
I tried to introduce my two 11 week old hens to my flock. My flock has is 2 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster was fine but the 2 hen tried to attack the young ones. They have been in a small coop next to the main coop so they have been next to each other for about a month. What is the proper way to do this.

I tried to introduce my two 11 week old hens to my flock. My flock has is 2 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster was fine but the 2 hen tried to attack the young ones. They have been in a small coop next to the main coop so they have been next to each other for about a month. What is the proper way to do this.
Whats your definition of next to eachother? Did they have all the time view of one another and yes please on pics😁

As close as I could get them to each other

Attachments

• 17094143822901598220527081305599.jpg
    17094143822901598220527081305599.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
It is normal in my flock for the mature to bully the immature if their personal space is invaded. Until my pullets reach a certain level of maturity they are likely to get pecked if they get too close to the adults. My immature chickens form a sub-flock. I have enough room that they can avoid the adults during the day and they do not sleep on the roosts with the adults at night. When the pullets start to lay eggs they are generally accepted by the adults, but until then the pullets quickly learn to not get close to the adults until they are that mature. Otherwise they may get pecked.

I use the same basic method you did, housing them side by side for a while. When I turn them loose to roam with the flock there aren't any issues. But I have a lot more room than you do so they can stay away.

That doesn't mean it is hopeless. It is very possible they will be able to coexist until the pullets mature enough to join the adults. I'd keep trying to let them mix, but give them as much room as you can. Don't try to forced them to be close together. Put clutter in there. That means give them places they can hide under, behind, or over to get out of sight of the adults. But don't make dead ends, give them a way to escape if a hen chases them. Leaning a sheet of plywood against the fence is common. Give them perches high enough they can not be pecked by the ones on the ground. Maybe set something on cinder blocks they can hide under. Have multiple food and water stations so they can eat and drink without being beat up, the adults can be bullies in protecting the food or water if it is not spread out.

It's not always as rough as I may have made it sound. People do this all the time. It can be a nervous time.

Good luck!

Can you get photos further back so we can see the whole set up, mainly I want to see how your clutter and coops are laid out, and:
They are in our old dog kennel that is 6ft X 12ft. With a shelter in the back. I'm new to this so I don't have a run set up yet. I have been thinking of free ranging them but I'm worried about raccoons. I have one rooster that I've recently been letting run loose in the yard.

They are in our old dog kennel that is 6ft X 12ft. With a shelter in the back. I'm new to this so I don't have a run set up yet. I have been thinking of free ranging them but I'm worried about raccoons. I have one rooster that I've recently been letting run loose in the yard.
So only the rooster free ranges? The 2 hens stay in the 6x12 area? The adult coop is inside the kennel correct?

You're a wee bit snug on space for integration, but might still be able to make it work as it is. You will need to get creative with clutter in the "run" (I'll refer to it as a run since it's functioning as such - might want to consider rearranging everything in there to disorient the existing birds a bit, so they're distracted and it makes it easier to ignore the new additions.

Or if you're okay with letting the older birds out for a few hours, let all of them out and put the new birds in the run during that time, so they can explore it and get used to the space without harassment from the older birds. Do that daily if possible for maybe a week or two, and then try having them all in the run together while you supervise.

Good info above 👆. I'm sorry I'm off topic from your original question but is the chicken in the cage in your first picture one you were trying to integrate? I can't see it the best but it looks to have a larger comb and wattles and thick legs for being 11 weeks old. Maybe male-specific feathers coming in, too. Could it possibly be a cockerel? :oops:

Back
Top Bottom