Introducing new chickens to the flock

barbiedreamcoop

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2024
Hi!

So, we have just added our flock to our home 3 weeks ago. We have 2 silver Wyandotte and 2 barred rocks. They are all pullets. We agree we definitely want at least 1 more Hen. No roosters since we only want eggs and no baby chicks. But, what is your advice? I think we need to wait at the soonest till June and let the girls get used to everything, but my husband says if we just add one more in the next few weeks also a pulled but a different breed they should be ok in terms of growing together? I’ve been reading up on introducing a new Hen into the flock and the possible bullying and I am truly unsure?? Also, my husband would prefer a Rhode Island Red due to this egg count, but I have heard mixed things. Please help!!

How old are the birds you already have? If they're any older than roughly 8 weeks or so, it'll be more difficult to add a newcomer as pecking order starts to solidify, and a single bird addition is also more difficult as the newcomer will be singled out by the resident birds.

Will the newcomer come from the same source as the other birds? If not, a biological quarantine is advised: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/ so that'd require a second set up and up to a month of isolation (which is another reason why a solo addition is more difficult).

You also need to take into account space and resources - do you have more than the minimum recommended space in coop and run? Multiple feeders and ample clutter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 to help provide hiding spaces?

:welcome
ISA brown breed are good egg layers and friendly breed. The problem is if your chickens are aggressive it will be bullied. The disadvantage is they have a very short lifespan compared to other breeds.

How old are the birds you already have? If they're any older than roughly 8 weeks or so, it'll be more difficult to add a newcomer as pecking order starts to solidify, and a single bird addition is also more difficult as the newcomer will be singled out by the resident birds.

Will the newcomer come from the same source as the other birds? If not, a biological quarantine is advised: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/ so that'd require a second set up and up to a month of isolation (which is another reason why a solo addition is more difficult).

You also need to take into account space and resources - do you have more than the minimum recommended space in coop and run? Multiple feeders and ample clutter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 to help provide hiding spaces?
Thank you so much for your help!
The woman we got the birds from did not specify exactly how old they are but they are pullets and definitely older than 8 weeks. We also were going to use her again for the other chicken just because she worked so well last time so hopefully if we get the chicken from the same breeder that will help especially with them being in the same coop previously?? I would love to get more than one more since I did read it will be harder on a single chicken but adding one more will put us at our limit where we are.

Hi!

So, we have just added our flock to our home 3 weeks ago. We have 2 silver Wyandotte and 2 barred rocks. They are all pullets. We agree we definitely want at least 1 more Hen. No roosters since we only want eggs and no baby chicks. But, what is your advice? I think we need to wait at the soonest till June and let the girls get used to everything, but my husband says if we just add one more in the next few weeks also a pulled but a different breed they should be ok in terms of growing together? I’ve been reading up on introducing a new Hen into the flock and the possible bullying and I am truly unsure?? Also, my husband would prefer a Rhode Island Red due to this egg count, but I have heard mixed things. Please help!!
@rosemarythyme has asked some good questions.

I would advise you to wait until you've gotten thru the first year before adding more birds.
Better to wait until your second year so you have some experience under your belt and also to have eggs that second winter when the first group stops laying to molt.
You can have a male without getting chicks, you just don't let any eggs hatch, but with little kids around males can be a real danger.

if we get the chicken from the same breeder that will help especially with them being in the same coop previously?? I would love to get more than one more since I did read it will be harder on a single chicken but adding one more will put us at our limit where we are.
They will not remember each other (chickens can forget one another in a matter of days), so while in this case I would probably skip quarantine, there would still need to be an integration period which could last a few days or a few weeks, during which you'd need to section off safe spaces to allow the two sides to see and get to know each other without being able to attack.

When you say you can only add 1 more, is that because of ordinances limiting number of birds, or space constraints? If it's the latter I think you're better off not adding a new bird right now. If the current set up is close to capacity it'll be a difficult integration simple because space is such a key factor. I would wait until there's space for at least 2 (or more) new additions (whether it's because of a bird passing away or an expansion of the set up) and then consider adding at that time.

Hi!

Please don't add just one! I decided I wanted a different breed than what I had and added 3 and so glad I did because even after 5 months the 3 are still kinda at the bottom of the pecking order and stick together. If you can only be allowed only one more you may want to wait till you have 2 or 3 to replace. I don't want you to have to deal with that but I have learned already how fragile chickens are and have lost 2 within my first year of having back yard chickens 💔

It sounds like your birds are not full grown, so what is more than enough space now, may not be enough space later. SPACE is incredibly important aspect in how chickens get along.

There are a lot of posts on long lived chickens, but in my experience, 3-4 years is a closer average. Average meaning some will be longer and some shorter. The thing is, old birds do not produce many eggs, and often times not real high quality eggs. So I agree with AArt - having all of your birds the same age, is not a real good thing. It is better to add and subtract birds each year. A multi- generational flock is healthier and better egg production.

I too would recommend waiting a year before adding more birds.

Mrs K

Please don't add just one! I decided I wanted a different breed than what I had and added 3 and so glad I did because even after 5 months the 3 are still kinda at the bottom of the pecking order and stick together. If you can only be allowed only one more you may want to wait till you have 2 or 3 to replace. I don't want you to have to deal with that but I have learned already how fragile chickens are and have lost 2 within my first year of having back yard chickens 💔
I agree 100% with CrazyChickLady64. We live in the country and free-range from dawn to dusk. We do tend to lose chickens now and then to predators. We always wait until we lose at least four hens before we replace any. I never buy a single hen or pullet. I may not get all of the replacements at the same place, but I will buy no less than two from one place. The hens definitely form clicks. The new hens stay together in the crate, inside the coop for the remainder of the day. Once it's dark, I release them into the coop to join the flock. In the morning, they are all out together and begin reestablishing the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom