Birth defect?

Emma199

Hatching
Aug 31, 2015

Can anyone tell me what this could be from?? May need to zoom in.

:welcome!

That poor girl looks really beat up :( Have you just rescued her? If that's not just a really bad molt she needs to be separated from the flock to recover, or if you have a lot of roosters you need to get rid of a few because they could be contributing to the feather loss. She might also have a feather parasite like lice or mites causing the feather loss so you might want to also dust her for that.

Also it looks like she may have a prolapse - is that what you were asking if it was a birth defect? Has she had it her whole life?

Prolapses, if that's what it is, are treatable if you catch it fast and if you post in the Emergencies section you can get some good advice on that.

Last edited:
No, we got her free with the other 7 we got. So I don't know. She's not with the other chickens and we don't have a rooster. They're all laying hens. This is my first time having chickens(without my parents), had them growing up.

Looks like they weren't treated so nicely in their previous home. I would definitely treat them for lice and mites, because with that amount of feather loss they could certainly be playing a role. For the prolapse, I'd look up vent prolapse treatments and begin treating immediately. Prolapse is life-threatening. Glad you are giving these girls a good new home!

welcome-byc.gif
!

That poor girl looks really beat up
sad.png
Have you just rescued her? If that's not just a really bad molt she needs to be separated from the flock to recover, or if you have a lot of roosters you need to get rid of a few because they could be contributing to the feather loss. She might also have a feather parasite like lice or mites causing the feather loss so you might want to also dust her for that.

Also it looks like she may have a prolapse - is that what you were asking if it was a birth defect? Has she had it her whole life?

Prolapses, if that's what it is, are treatable if you catch it fast and if you post in the Emergencies section you can get some good advice on that.

Looks like they weren't treated so nicely in their previous home. I would definitely treat them for lice and mites, because with that amount of feather loss they could certainly be playing a role. For the prolapse, I'd look up vent prolapse treatments and begin treating immediately. Prolapse is life-threatening. Glad you are giving these girls a good new home!
Pyxis has provided you with some good advice. Definitely start here.

What a shame - someone let her get into such bad shape. Animal control should be alerted. Hope the poor girl makes it. You are very kind to rescue her.

Could they be losing their feathers from stress and moving them? The lady that I got them from, she's super nice and my family(before I moved on my own) got chickens from her about 2 years ago, and they were beautiful. We also didn't get them late in the season, like we did 2/3 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom