Chickens not laying eggs

Kolijah

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 29, 2014
West Virginia
Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do here?

I've got 10 chickens total, two roos (although one roo is a baby still and there is no bickering).

One roo is a RR the other roo is an Easter Egg mix of some sort. For the hens we've got 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Australorp, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Black Sex Link, 1 brown leghorn, and 1 Buff Orphinton.

The three easter eggers I bought back in June (thought all were pullets). The chickens stopped laying when I introduced the new babies (and I figured that would happen). But it's now September and we've got two eggs since June... Both were from the same RR hen. All the chickens get along great... they roost and eat together... including the little roo. There is never any fighting other than the occasional peck from boss hen here and there.

The chickens run is fenced in with a mesh cover so they can't escape (my dog is a chicken killer). So they get unlimited layer feed, grit, and oyster shells as well as scratch thrown to them twice a day (and corn/tomatoes/pumpkin from the garden as well as grass clippings).

The chicken coop has a fan we turn on to circulate air on the hot days, I change their water every morning, and their coop gets cleaned every 3 days or so. They're all healthy and I don't think any of them are molting... We also have a lock on the chicken coop door... so I know no one is stealing the eggs. There is also no way a predator could get in there and steal the eggs (we have the fence buried and there is no sign of digging to get in).

I'm not sure what else to do here? Could it be the fact that there are two roos? But all these hens are within 8 months and 2.5 years old so they should be laying... we're at a loss for what else to do. :(

Last edited:
........ So they get unlimited layer feed, grit, and oyster shells as well as scratch thrown to them twice a day (and corn/tomatoes/pumpkin from the garden as well as grass clippings).........
Layer feed is usually about 16% protein, minimum for layers needs, you are diluting that protein by feeding scratch and other stuff.
I'd cut out the other foods for a few weeks and see what happens
Tho at this point the days are drastically shortening and they could be getting ready to molt and it's just not apparent,
they could be losing feathers and immedaitely eating them for the protein content..

Have the 2 pullets ever laid?
How old are they?
Do you plan on getting rid of the cockerel?

Last edited:
The coop is about 7 feed wide 8 feet long and 8 feet tall. Two roost and then we have three layer boxes built.

For the 2 pullets they've never laid... they were hatched in January. We're going to cull our current roo since he's not very friendly. The cockerel will run right over to be picked up and carried around.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that they aren't getting enough protein to produce eggs. Layer feed is a bit on the low side for protein. And then you are giving them all sorts of extras and goodies, further lowering the amount of protein they are getting. Remember that egg whites are mostly protein, and it has to come from somewhere.

I'll definitely stop with the other stuff and see if that helps! Thank you for the suggestion. I can continue just leaving out as much layer feed as they would want to eat right?

The coop is about 7 feed wide 8 feet long and 8 feet tall. Two roost and then we have three layer boxes built.

For the 2 pullets they've never laid... they were hatched in January. We're going to cull our current roo since he's not very friendly. The cockerel will run right over to be picked up and carried around.
Coop is minimum for 10 birds.........How big is your run area?

The 2 pullets, and cockerel, are 8 months old?....4 months ago your cockerel 'came of age' and could well be causing stress that you are not observing.

I think the problem is that they aren't getting enough protein to produce eggs. Layer feed is a bit on the low side for protein. And then you are giving them all sorts of extras and goodies, further lowering the amount of protein they are getting. Remember that egg whites are mostly protein, and it has to come from somewhere.
Yes, was my first suggestion.

ETA....yes just leave the layer feed available 24/7.

Last edited:
If you plan on keeping the roosters, then you probably shouldn't be feeding layer feed at all. It has too much calcium in it, and it will cause kidney damage eventually. A good choice of feed for flocks with roosters or birds of different ages is flock raiser, or grower feed. Both flock raiser type feeds and grower feeds are higher in protein, so you can feed some goodies and treats in moderation without worrying about dropping their overall protein intake too much.

Back
Top Bottom