Two egg laying questions…

Bojangles2002

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2022
Richardson, TX
Hello everyone - couple of questions here. Been raising my flock of 8 backyard chickens for about 1.5 years now. 3 are 1.5 years, and 5 are about 26 weeks old. My questions are:

1. I have a Barred Plymouth Rock at 26 weeks that I am almost positive is not laying yet. Is that common? Do some hens just not lay? She is not laying elsewhere in the run and only free-ranges under supervision, so not elsewhere in the yard. And she is definitely 100% a hen.

2. I have read that Leghorns (mine is of the Exchequer variety) always lay exclusively white eggs. However, mine lays light brown. Has anyone else had this happen? Additionally, one of my Easter Eggers lays brown instead of blue, but I’ve read that can happen sometimes.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone has input on one/both of these questions. All chickens seem happy and healthy, and all others are laying except for two of the older ones currently molting. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes, some females may never lay. I don't think that's the case with your pullet. She may just be slow to start(which is not always a bad thing), or she might already be laying. Judging by her comb and wattles, I'd bet she's either really close, or already in lay. Leghorns should lay white eggs. Are you sure that the light brown isn’t the egg from your other pullet? EEs are mixes, and as such, they can have some surprises. Yours is a brown layer, it seems

Yes, some females may never lay. I don't think that's the case with your pullet. She may just be slow to start(which is not always a bad thing), or she might already be laying. Judging by her comb and wattles, I'd bet she's either really close, or already in lay. Leghorns should lay white eggs. Are you sure that the light brown isn’t the egg from your other pullet? EEs are mixes, and as such, they can have some surprises. Yours is a brown layer, it seems
Thank you for the response. I agree, I think she is just a slow-starter. She is by far my sweetest hen, so even if she is a freeloader that is fine with me. As far as the Leghorn, I’m sure the light brown are from her (I have a camera in the henhouse). I will post a follow-up pic when I have another one from her (I ate both hers that she had laid so far this morning).

Back
Top Bottom