Goose croons to a nest of eggs

Sumartae

Chirping
Mar 7, 2015

I have a 13 week old brown Chinese goose that I've named Peepers. I still don't know if this goose is male or female, but he/she sure mimics our 18 month old white Chinese gander in body language, has the same long neck, is about the same size as the gander but the nose knob isn't as large and the voice is lower, almost hoarse. Now I'm hearing him/ her croon in a mournful way over a nest of eggs. This seems so strange since having waterfowl is a new experience for me. Someone suggested I vent sex him, but I know now I'm not up to doing that and I'm hoping someone would have enough experience with these birds to be able to make an educated guess on the gender based on my description. Other wise, time will tell, but I'm dying to know now. :). The crooning really has me puzzled. Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Last edited:
Hi, Deep down I'm thinking Peepers is a male as well, but hoping against hope for female. Any ideas why he/she croons over a nest of eggs? The nest belongs to two ducks that each give me an egg everyday. I collect the eggs but always leave the 3 golf balls in the nest so they don't get mad at me. :). My Indian Runner duck is the surrogate mother of Peepers. I ordered fertile goose eggs when she went broody and she hatched Peepers as the result.
Thanks for your reply.

In the goose world ganders are the odd balls. They will at times try to raise small ducks and will take over any gosling that is given them.It maybe counting the eggs. I have seen ganders do this.Not sure if they are really counting but it does look like it.

My female goose talks to her eggs - and anything else egglike - in a throaty, calm voice; something like a hoarsely whispered "Hhhrarrrf". She also uses that sound when checking out nest locations and when building her nest. The lower, hoarser voice sounds to me like your Peepers is a goose, not a gander. But, as you already said, time will definitely tell.

"My female goose talks to her eggs - and anything else egglike - in a throaty, calm voice; something like a hoarsely whispered "Hhhrarrrf". She also uses that sound when checking out nest locations and when building her nest. The lower, hoarser voice sounds to me like your Peepers is a goose, not a gander. But, as you already said, time will definitely tell."

I hope you are right.:) Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
"In the goose world ganders are the odd balls. They will at times try to raise small ducks and will take over any gosling that is given them.It maybe counting the eggs. I have seen ganders do this.Not sure if they are really counting but it does look like it."

Interesting! I appreciate the information. Thanks so much. :)

Last edited:
"My female goose talks to her eggs - and anything else egglike - in a throaty, calm voice; something like a hoarsely whispered "Hhhrarrrf". She also uses that sound when checking out nest locations and when building her nest. The lower, hoarser voice sounds to me like your Peepers is a goose, not a gander. But, as you already said, time will definitely tell."

I also think you described her crooning perfectly.

Last edited:
"Lets see if @jchny2000 has any ideas."

How do I go about getting his attention to read these posts? I'm still learning how to navigate the forum. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Back
Top Bottom