Emus in pen

MiTexas MiniZoo

Hatching
Sep 18, 2015
I have 2 emus i got this past Valentines day 2015. I was told not to handle them for 3 months & to not handle them really @ all. I did not handle them till 1 month old & kind of regret it. I am glad I did start to handle them. 1 of them is friendly & loves to get hugs & kisses , the other does not like to be touched too much, when i wants touches it is on its terms not mine. I keep them penned due to the dogs are not trust worthy of letting my emus out into the yard. I look forward to getting 2 or 4 more. Can anyone tell me if my adult emus will be ok with adding more emus in with them or do I have to make a different pen for them. It is so cool to see, I have cows & horses that roam the yard freely. My emus eat bugs off the cows when they come by the pen area to see them. My emus picked their names ... one pooped on my so its name is ***** , the other made a laughing sound right after so it is named Giggles. I love them , they are already about 4 feet tall. I hope someone has an answer for me since I can't find out anything about adding baby emus to a pen of 2 adult emus. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Not sure why someone would tell you to not handle them, bad advice imho unless he thought you were wanting to raise them for slaughter.
Your birds are not adults yet, they won't be until they are coming 2 years of age.
Also, you don't want to add baby emus to older ones and then only try it after the baby emu is out of the blackhead stage, around 10 months of age.
In any case when mixing/introducing new ones to established ones always good to have an adjoining pen where you can keep the newcomers in for a while.
Feed/water them at a common fenceline and see what happens, if they start to eat and sleep together at the common fence line and no fighting is going on between it only then is it safe to let them be in the same pen together.
Even then you have to watch closely for they may not get along after a while.
Many emus are prone to fighting as a rule so good to ALWAYS keep a close eye on them.

yea im not sure why ANYONE would want to tell you that. UNLESS ffor meat! mine i handled them since day one YET they dont let me touch them at all lol i can get close like beside them but never petting.

I have 2 boys a three year old and a four year old, they have been played with and hugged everyday of their lives. I cannot even think of walking by them in their corral without wrapping my arms around them and kissing their heads. If I sit down they sit in my lap, if I lay in their nest they lay on top of me. They are truly my best buds!

Back
Top Bottom