Rooster has been culled!

Jesusfreak101

Songster
Sep 2, 2015
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Not feeling so good, i know mentally he had to go for my daughters safety but emotionally i am not okay. I loves that dumb bird until he became aggressive... Does it feel like this everytime you cull a bird?

Thats good to know, we have 25 black boilers due to come in oct so i got kinda concerned i need to cancel the order if it was going to be the same.

Well done you!

Just make sure you don't get as attached to your new ones! And yes, whilst never pleasant, it does get easier.

Yeah, i almost told him not to but i kept thinking if he had spurs and of my daughter and unborn son and if he attacked them with spurs.

For sure - don't sweat it - it had to be done and now you have chicken stew to look forward to!
big_smile.png

Lol my mom demanding fried chicken. She thinks she allegric to the hormones/vac. They use in animals here, she hasnt been able to eat chicken with out getting ill in 15 years or more and beef every once in awhile does the same. She hoping she wont get sick off of him.

Good luck with your mother. It’s been against the law to use hormones for meat production for a lot of years here so the meat you buy doesn’t have hormones. So that is not her problem. They do use antibiotics and immunizations though, just to set the record straight. The rules on antibiotics have changed lately to make it a little harder to use them but all it takes is a veterinarian to say they need them and they will get antibiotics.

I raise chickens primarily for meat and grew up on a farm where I regularly butchered chickens for the table. I never enjoy killing a chicken, even a problem chicken. I think if you get to the point that you enjoy the killing you have a problem though I’ll admit some are easier than others. It does get easier after your first one but hopefully never really easy. You’ll do fine.

Sorry about your rooster. It gets a little easier each time....but I still have trouble with ones I get attached to.
2X, as a rule, I don't name my chickens or turkeys. If you get attached to them as if they are your pets, it will be harder to cull them. Just don't make them suffer when you do it. I know it is hard for some people to process their poultry when it is time to do it. I have a co-worker from Maryland that raises meat chickens but takes them to the Mennonites for processing.

Its never easy I cried when I did the first one but it does get less upsetting. Me I use a killing cone seems to be the best way to go about it they don't fight as much.

Back
Top Bottom