When can my child participate in culling?

Mrsmalexander8

Chirping
Apr 18, 2023
we are first year chicken owners and will be culling and eating the extra cockerels.

it is important to us that our children know where food comes from, but we don’t want to do something they may not be ready for by allowing them to participate in the process.

I did not grow up in a family that thought about this, but was curious the ages you all have allowed your kids to witness the processing of a meat bird? I’m sure it greatly depends on the kid and their personality.

I have a 4 year old boy who seems ok with the fact that we will be eating these chickens we care for each day. He has seen a duck, chicken and a Turkey carcass with head off and watched me cook this but has never seen one die.

I am not looking for suggestions for my case, but more looking to see when and how you who are parents involved your kids in this process. Thanks!

I think it's best started before they reach the age of reason (12-ish), but I don't think there's a lower limit except for safety purposes. My grandkids have helped since they moved to be nearer to us, at about ages 8 (boy) and 10 (girl). The boy is quite curious about the process and has helped pluck and butcher (with cut-resistant gloves) since the beginning. But I still won't let him near the scalding pot until his physical size is bigger and the awkward adolescent stage has passed. Last spring he culled his first birds with the broomstick and was fine with it. The girl, however, is all girly-girl and loathes the process. She loves to cook and eat the chicken, it's fine - but will not participate in the culling or butchering.

Permit me to give you the three-year old view point on this topic. Eons ago when I was a toddler during WWII, families needed to raise their own food due to food rationing in order to supply the troops during the war. My parents raised chickens and rabbits for food. They let me befriend a rabbit that I considered to be mine.

One weekend, my relatives all came for dinner which we ate at a big table in the backyard. It was during dinner that someone probably mentioned how tasty the rabbit was. In my toddler brain, I made the connection to the mention of rabbit to the mysterious absence of my rabbit. I asked where my rabbit was. No one had the courage to explain to me the truth of the situation. I filled in the blanks myself, and forever after concluded that adults were pathetic, cowardly liars.

You are off the a good start with your child. Be truthful. Don't hide the truth about the need for butchering in order for a live animal to become food. Take your cues from your child by the questions he asks. You will know from the questions when he is ready to observe this step in putting food on the table.

I think it's really good you're thinking about this and getting him involved. I didn't grow up learning this either so I can't provide you with a set answer, but as someone who works with children I think I could give a good guess. It's probably best to start out with having them help out with a minor part of the process the first time, such as doing the final spray, setting the chickens to dry, and bagging them. Then if it goes well, next time you process allow the child to do all that, but be present for evisceration and plucking, observing how to do it and trying age-appropriate things (I'm talking about the parts involving sharp knives). Then just gradually give them more responsibility at a pace that feels natural. I'd start small and work up. Answer questions honestly and maintain that you have respect for animal. I think a child that grows up learning these things will be very well off.

I didn't grow up on a farm either and it was all new to me when I decided to raise meat birds and eggers as an adult. I have three kids under 12 yrs old, and it depends on their personality and age as to how involved they are in the processing. We have a pet flock (eggers) and a meat flock. Our first meat chickens were CX, so obviously different than the eggers in almost every way. I promised I wouldn't cull the pet eggers unless they were sick and weren't going to get better. We could rehome them, but otherwise they'd live out their natural lives with us. They each have names, personalities, and we talk about them often.

The meat flock (and that first batch of CX) are "dinner chickens". I don't call them much else, because we are always emphasizing that they will be dinner, so don't get too attached. Go love on your eggers if you need chicken cuddles. We'll care for the meat birds as a flock and help them if they're hurt, but they will all end up going to freezer camp. I let the kids witness everything but the bit where I actually cull the chicken. They are as involved as they want to be, don't want to give any sensitive people nightmares, but I do make them turn around or leave the area during that part. One of mine helps pluck, the others don't. No knife usage yet, as mine are too young.

We've had to deal with squemishness, and I I do purchase commercial packs of chicken so they don't know for sure if they're eating the chicken we raised. I ask if they really do want to know, and they tell me, and I answer truthfully, or don't answer as they prefer.

We pray for the chickens and thank them for their lives before we process them and then we try and use every bit of them possible.

We pray for the chickens and thank them for their lives before we process them and then we try and use every bit of them possible.
I do that, too, with my grandkids. We pray before beginning the process, and thank each chicken on its way to destiny. They've even helped dig holes in the garden for the entrails and feathers, and I explain how they help fertilize the ground so our veggies grow big and tasty. We use every single bit in one way or another.

Permit me to give you the three-year old view point on this topic. Eons ago when I was a toddler during WWII, families needed to raise their own food due to food rationing in order to supply the troops during the war. My parents raised chickens and rabbits for food. They let me befriend a rabbit that I considered to be mine.

One weekend, my relatives all came for dinner which we ate at a big table in the backyard. It was during dinner that someone probably mentioned how tasty the rabbit was. In my toddler brain, I made the connection to the mention of rabbit to the mysterious absence of my rabbit. I asked where my rabbit was. No one had the courage to explain to me the truth of the situation. I filled in the blanks myself, and forever after concluded that adults were pathetic, cowardly liars.

You are off the a good start with your child. Be truthful. Don't hide the truth about the need for butchering in order for a live animal to become food. Take your cues from your child by the questions he asks. You will know from the questions when he is ready to observe this step in putting food on the table.
Thank you for this story

Back
Top Bottom