PHELP?????

RUDS

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2015
South Africa
Hi there.

Hope you guys are good?

could someone PLEASE PLEASE help me?

I have about 30 chickens.. al my lady chicks have been lying eggs crazy I get about 10 eggs a day I took a lot out but I left 48 eggs to be hatched, so I have 6 nest.. my question is not one of them has become broody yet why would this be? what I don't understand is there is 2 chick that lay on there eggs the hole nigt from when I let them in wich is about 17:30 til when I open them at 6:00. then they will go back and lie eggs and that it. please help me am I to quick or am I just dum??
big_smile.png

Regards
Rudi

There's no guarantee your hens well become broody, even if all your nests are overflowing with eggs. In particular it's quite late in the season, so I would be surprised to see many hens going broody this time of year - I've had dozens of spring and summer broodies every year, but only 2 or 3 that attempt to brood during fall or winter.

Do you mean to say that the hens are sleeping on the eggs at night and leaving them during the day? Sounds to me like they are interested in sleeping in the next boxes more than anything, and are only sitting on the eggs because they happen to be in their way.

thank you so much for your reply, remember summer only started here with us now in the last 3 weeks? does this make any difrence?

so what you think I should do is remove the eggs or should I give them more time??

regards

Remove the eggs daily for eating.
Leaving eggs in the nest won't make a hen want to hatch them.
Wait until a hen goes broody, then give her fertile eggs to hatch.
Time of year doesn't really matter.

...um a fertilized egg is an egg a rooster has been able to mate before it was laid however that does not guarantee that the egg will be fertlized. When you crack an egg open it should have bullseyes mark on the yolk if it was fertilized. If you dont have a rooster you cant have chicks unless you order ready to hatch eggs. However even if you see the bullseye mark on several eggs it doesnt mean they all be that way. After a hen lays on them for about ten days you can candle said eggs and find out which one have grown and which ones have not and throw the eggs out that have not grown.

thank you so much.... yes I have 4 roosters where will the bullseye mark be on the yellow or white and how does it look?

I am so sorry to bother you with this but yes I need more help than I think?

regards

Back
Top Bottom