When will my rooster be able to defend himself

Atm

Hatching
Feb 20, 2024
Hi guys, I have 2 egg lying backyard chickens. they are sisters with the same age and now they are around 1 year old. and now I wanted to get another pullets for the same purpose. So i bought 2 pullets which are 2 months old but when they reach 4 months old one of them gets a bigger wattle and comb. I was confused at the time but when they reach 6 months old I ensured that i got a cockerel and a pullet. Amazingly I was about to buy a rooster for the hens to provide them protection and let them feel natural. so i was happy at the time but the old hens doesn't like the cockerel and they just want to bite and peck him always. So I separated their house (coop) they are just free ranged so they can even go out side to the neighborhood.The young pullet just run from the old hens but the cockerel doesn't want to go away instead he just stay when they bite him but doesn't do anything to defend himself he just stay on his ground but if they get harder on him he will run like the pullet. now he is 8 months old but he is still hasn't changed and even he is not crowing and when I try to catch him he squats submissively like the chickens but the thing that makes him different is he bites me when I touch him for longer time. The young pullet is not friendly like him she just run when I try to catch her and she also doesn't start laying eggs. So do their breed matures lately? If not why is my cockerel not acting like matured?

He's intimidated by your older hens.
A cockerel or rooster offers little protection from predators and your rooster need different feed from your hens and usually more hen but since he's not mating it might not be an issue.
Your young pullet may calm down after she starts laying but she maybe getting abused by the hens.
I'd rehome the cockerel and pullet and try again with introducing at least 3 birds at once if you have room.

He's intimidated by your older hens.
A cockerel or rooster offers little protection from predators and your rooster need different feed from your hens and usually more hen but since he's not mating it might not be an issue.
Your young pullet may calm down after she starts laying but she maybe getting abused by the hens.
I'd rehome the cockerel and pullet and try again with introducing at least 3 birds at once if you have room.
ok I will try

I have a hen that was very bossy to the cockerels which she hatched. She is the alpha hen anyway.
After sometime, the cockerels stopped being afraid of her and try to mate with her.
The tables are turned and now she is the one hiding.
Few months,ago she would not let the roost on the roosting bar and tonight I found her on the floor and all the cockerels on the bars.

Your boy may be maturing slower but he should eventually become a real rooster.
You may have to separate him and the young pullet. Take the oldest hens out to another coop for a week or do.
Sometimes it will reset the flock dynamic.
Or take one of the older hens out and leave him there.
Chickens are funny.

Back
Top Bottom