Hen attacks rooster when he mates.

Lexingtonbackyard

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2024
I have 12 hens about 8 months old and a rooster about 10 months old. The hens all get along well when the rooster is separated from them. When I let them out to be with the rooster all day, he immediately attacks one particular hen. She runs and never rejoins the flock. If he tries to mount a hen, she will attack him and make him stop. He will then chase her around the yard but she always gets away. She won’t ever get near him, but won’t let him mate either.

:welcome This is generally the behavior of a dominant pullet or hen. Sometimes the aggression of the rooster can escalate to the point where he kills the pullet/hen.
That’s just it, she’s never shown any dominance toward the other hens. She gets along well with them when he’s separated from the flock. And he never gets close enough to attack her. She’s fast and always gets away and he gives up and goes back to the rest of the flock.

This is her

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 95
Hello and welcome @Lexingtonbackyard! It’s so nice to have you join the BYC community! 🙂 Are you really sure she’s a she, and not a late-developing cockerel? Has she laid eggs yet? I see what looks like pretty long sickle feathers. This is only a friendly opinion…. She’s acting like a cockerel challenging the #1. I’ve seen the same behavior. They rush in, try to attack, then run. I hope you find a solution for your flock.

Back
Top Bottom