Hen attacks rooster when he mates.

Hello and welcome @Lexingtonbackyard! It’s so nice to have you join the BYC community! 🙂 Are you really sure she’s a she, and not a late-developing cockerel? Has she laid eggs yet? I see what looks like pretty long sickle feathers. This is only a friendly opinion…. She’s acting like a cockerel challenging the #1. I’ve seen the same behavior. They rush in, try to attack, then run. I hope you find a solution for your flock.
I’m beginning to think you may be correct.

How often is he separated?
Why does he not live with them full time?
They roam the yard freely throughout the day. In the evening they all were being put in their enclosure just to protect them overnight from predators. Recently (a week) I’ve been keeping him out of the enclosure and he would roost on top of it. I’m thinking if the hen that may not be a hen turns out to be a cockerel, I’ll get rid of it and they can be together all the time.

It looks like a cockerel as I think I am seeing some thin and pointed saddle feathers… could you get a better full body picture?
Here’s another. She’s 8 months old. I purchased the hens together last summer and had them all shipped in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 50

Back
Top Bottom