2 x 4 Welded Wire still not enough?

Shannon Wynne

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 10, 2015
After a band of coons broke in a killed all of our chickens in a coop converted from an old shed , I spent thousands to build a new coop with a 2 x 4 welded wire run. Last night my wife called me that a baby possum was inside the run!
IMPOSSIBLE I exclaimed. I ws wrong. So it seems that a baby possum CAN get through 2x4 welded wire...period.

So here is my question: If we added a 36"band of chicken wire to the inside of the existing walls of the run, do the seasoned professionals here at BYC think the baby can wiggle through the 2x4 enough to also chew through the chicken wire. This would be a really tough job.

Also, if I added the chicken wire up three feet on the sides, and across the roof, wouldn't that rid the little bugger the leverage he would need to push through that 2x4 sized hole on the upper sides??

Lastly, can a baby coon that size kill a full grown chicken? I bet yes.

We have an auto close chicken door on the coop were the run is, but sometimes one will screw up and miss the closing time. Help please!

Honestly, I would use 1/2 inch hardware cloth around the run. I have my entire run, roof and all covered in hardware cloth. I have not had one issue with raccoons or even a mouse getting into my run. I even have a trail camera up that had several raccoons eyeing the run.

Is the top of the run open? Raccoons climb well. Also possible it went under. Do you have the wire buried or have a wire apron everywhere around the outside of the run?

I use 2x4 welded wire. I had a possum climb in once. Since that time I redid my run and being cheap,I bought posts that were too short. I have 5' wire, but the posts don't reach the top, so the to flops around. It actually seems to discourage climbing!

Of course ½inch hardware cloth on all sides is the best answer.

welcome-byc.gif

My husband's co-worker just lost 40some pullets (6-8 weeks old) to a young skunk who fit through 2x4 wire.

chicken wire is so flimsy. A raccoon can easily bust through it, especially when the reward is a chicken dinner---that's a lot of motivation for a coon.

They make 1X2 welded wire if you care to use it. It may require you to do some serious finding to get your hands on 1X2 wire. However I like your plan to use chicken wire over welded wire. Get a bucket full of "J" clips and a good pair of "J" clip pliers or hog "ringers" and the correct pliers and use the "J" clips or "hog ringers" to affix the two separate types of wire to each other. I always kept two or more big rough and ready coon dogs on sight and they patrolled the outside of a 3 acre run. But my place was way out in the middle of nowhere and loose dogs was not a problem, the coons BTW didn't stand a chance. I had an 8 foot tall fence that was made out of 1 inch poultry wire 3 feet tall and a 5 foot section of 2 inch poultry wire topping the bottom wire.

I think that without you knowing it that a possum could live in the coop or pen alongside your birds until such time as the "baby" possum is large enough to harm a chicken. I know that in the past that i found small possums living behind or between pens i was rebuilding but i never gave one of these stowaways the chance to grow big enough to kill a chicken.

With a 2" x 4" welded wire providing base supporting chicken wire, I can stop young opossums and skunks from getting through. Raccoons small enough to get through by climbing over the chicken wire are too young to hunt anything bigger than insects. To help deal with the opossums and skunks, work in getting the birds to roost up at least 18" above ground level.

Chicken wire is usually 2" hexagons ... Hen wire is 1" ... Even with the 2" stuff if placed right so few wise line up with the welded wire, but you still need some to line up to secure them together ... It will cut down entry. If buying ... Get the smaller stuff, or even light duty 1x3" weld wire for like gardens. ...

If you had more (extra) of the 2x4 welded wire, you could off set it to make 1x2 ...

Chicken wire keeps chickens in. Doesn't keep anything out.

1/2" hardware cloth keeps chickens in. Keeps dogs, coons and possums out.

Back
Top Bottom