Turkey Hen Suddenly Growing Beard

Attila the Hen

Crowing
11 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Blue Ridge GA
My 2 year old hen who has produced several clutches of chicks is suddenly growing a beard!! I've heard of chickens that start crowing. Why would she change like this? I have a tom and a jake currently.

Rehomed 2 poults last week. I have midget whites and so it is sometimes difficult to tell them apart but I am pretty certain I didn't give my hen away. In fact I marked her to make sure. She will let me handle her unlike the poults and her legs are not young looking. I am amazed and perplexed by this. Anybody else have this experience?

My 2 year old hen who has produced several clutches of chicks is suddenly growing a beard!! I've heard of chickens that start crowing. Why would she change like this? I have a tom and a jake currently.

Rehomed 2 poults last week. I have midget whites and so it is sometimes difficult to tell them apart but I am pretty certain I didn't give my hen away. In fact I marked her to make sure. She will let me handle her unlike the poults and her legs are not young looking. I am amazed and perplexed by this. Anybody else have this experience?

It is not uncommon for hens to grow beards. My hen grew a beard her very first year. Why it is happening now is beyond me but I see @Sally Sunshine has been checking out "When “she” becomes “he” – spontaneous sex reversal in chickens"

I guess I should have done my research before I freaked out. It seems you are right. About 10% of turkey hens grow beards. Now I wonder how many females I gave away thinking they were males. Oh well. Live and learn.....
thank you

Hi there....meet Annie Jones. 100% egg laying hen! Post a picture of your hen! :D
We could start the bearded hen thread...LOL!!

I've heard of hens growing beards. I don't personally have one, or even a hen in general for that matter. But I do have a 2 month old sweetgrass jake. When should he get a beard?

Back
Top Bottom