How to save on Feed?

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
Ok Chicken Lovers! I have 11 Jersey Giants, 10 hens and one Roo. I go through a bag of Mash almost every week and a half. Im also feeding a Duck and a Silki Hen.

How do you all save on feed? Alternatives? Tell me your secrets :)

OH! and im getting 10 Olive Egger Chicks Soon too!

Its colder this time of year so they're going to eat more feed. I had 9 hens (I now have 7) and was going through a #50 bag of feed every 2.5 - 3 weeks and I add a handful of oats per scoop of feed.

I live in Iowa and we go through about 280 every year and I have 6 birds so that is a little over 5 and a thirds lb of food a week they get however much they want so i don't know.

The number one feed waster I've had trouble with is starlings. Especially in the winter. Let a flock of starlings find out there's dinner served and they'll be back every single day. Winter flocks can number in the thousands, almost always several hundred, they can get through holes in your barn less than an inch across, and they will empty your feed troughs like the proverbial plague of locusts, leaving everything in their wake covered with starling ***t.

I agree you're losing feed somewhere. Either you're feeding birds or rodents, or your birds are wasting feed. That many birds should be eating about 6ish cups of feed a day, maybe a touch more but not much. You'll need to decide what management decisions to make, rodent control, limiting feed that's put out, a no-waste feeder, etc.

50 lb bag, they have the red feeder and I usually fill it cause some are bossy and hog it fast. I have to put more in every morning lol my feed is all in cans. Ive learned my lesson with leaving it in the bags!

50 lb bag, they have the red feeder and I usually fill it cause some are bossy and hog it fast. I have to put more in every morning lol my feed is all in cans. Ive learned my lesson with leaving it in the bags!

can you give us a pictue of what this red feeder looks like I have an idea but I have seen lots of feeder styles.

Back
Top Bottom