Feed change?

Should be fine to stay the course as far as feed. Lower protein % might be slightly cheaper, but you don't want to drop below 16% which is usually what layer is set at. Lower protein % may increase odds of feather picking but there's not a magic cutoff to predict that.

Grit, they don't need a lot of it and not very often, so it may look like the container doesn't go down at all, until you realize it needs refilling again.

Oyster shell, your pullets are 16 weeks old so I'd start putting out a dish of it and let them explore it. They will eat a little out of curiosity at first, but shouldn't really crave it until they're close to or have begun laying. I just leave oyster shell out full time, whether we have chicks or whether it's winter time and no one's laying - they don't eat it if they don't need it.

Hi all... Newbie here and need direction as to what feed I should move to and at what point? There's so many different feeds and different variations as well as different opinions/perspectives that it's making my head spin.

We are one month into raising these seven 16 week old easter eggers.. two of which are roos. I will be keeping one of the roos and possibly (probably lol) adding 3-4 more hens down the road. I am feeding them Nature's Best Organic 20% starter/grower crumbles because that's what the previous owner used/recommended.. and they seem to love it.

I have read that they can stay on a grower feed forever as long as you give them oyster shells/egg shells on the side.. and this is best with having a roo because they don't need the calcium. I think I've also read that they can stay with 20% indefinitely as well? Although.. I see lots of other protein percentages recommended.

We like the idea of raising them organically as we started organic gardening recently and love it. However.. I know it comes with a higher price tag. This Nature's Best is $30 a bag and I will need more in a few days. I haven't done the math but does 50lbs consumed in five weeks seem like a lot for seven birds? 🤔

The birds do not free range... I may figure something out down the road how to give them an area outside the run to do so.

So .. my questions..

1.. should my next bag of feed be just a "grower" feed vs a starter/grower.. or are they the same?

2.. do I stick with 20%?

3.. is there a cheaper alternative that I can switch to that is good for the birds and us?

4.. Easter eggers are said to be late bloomers... when would I add calcium to their diet?

5.. when you throw scraps or garden stuff out there for them.. how do you know how much is too much.. or whether it takes away from nutrients they should be getting from their feed??

6.. they know the grit is in that bowl.. right? I don't see them taking from there much.. if at all. So, I throw some under coop area just in case and hope they're taking what they need....

That's all I can think of for now.... TIA 🙂
Hello there. I wanted to add my opinion just because I use the Natures Best 20% Chick starter crumble. i have 7 hens only for 3years now. I started with the Natures Best organic 20% chick starter and never stopped giving it because through all the learning I've done I agree with the higher protein. I stumbled across your question because I am considering changing feeds only for variety i suppose. If I could afford it, I would use Scratch & Peck all day. I offer real, dried oyster shells from the beach for their calcium on the side. I do purchase my scratch grains from scratch and peck. If chickens free range, Its good cause they can supplement their diets with what they know is good for them as well as get a bunch of grit on their own. Seems the chickens LOVE grass and I have been known to dig it out of the ground and throw it in the run making sure no long pieces are there to clog a crop. If no free ranging is happening because of weather, I will give salad every day. (spinach, kale, iceberg, romaine) I never offer any treats, salad or fruit before roost time. My bags of feed last about a month for 7 hens. If I had roosters, I would feed an All Flock feed with Oyster on the side. Grit is so important for a healthy crop. again, free ranging usually covers this need as they will find what they need. If you offer it in the run, I'm sure they are eating it. Just put it every where. I actually just purchased a bag of pea gravel and i use that to place their feeders on and they may eat some of that. After 3 years, my hens still eat and seem to enjoy the Natures Best 20% Chick starter feed. I was going nuts because of all the different feed options and such. I knew I wanted NONGMO and possibly organic and it seemed everyones opinions were all over the place. Eventually, I noticed the pros on BYC and I asked them specifically. at some point, when learning, you have to trust someone. BYC people are the BEST. You know who you are! Good Luck 0 🐔 :love

Back
Top Bottom